I've sorted out your visible problem. The idea is I:
1. cloned your rpt_sub_Instructor_Summary report and called it rpt_sub_Instructor_Summary_BLANK.
2. Got rid of the report's Record Source and the Control Sources of all the controls
3. Entered a static value of 0 in all the Totals controls.
4. Cloned the subreport control on your main form and changed its record source to the new subreport (i.e. rpt_sub_Instructor_Summary_BLANK) and removed the Link Master/Child Fields.
5. Set the Can Shrink and Can Grow properties of this cloned subreport to No.
6. Made sure that the Can Shrink and Can Grown properties of rpt_sub_Instructor_Summary is set to Yes.
7. Set the Back Colour of all the sections in rpt_sub_Instructor_Summary to White. This will ensure that this report stays on top when it has data.
8. Moved the cloned subreport into place by copying the Top value of rpt_sub_Instructor_Summary and putting in the Top property of the clone.
9. Sent the cloned subreport control to the back and brought the original one to the front.
For your #Error problem, follow this link: http://access.mvps.org/access/forms/frm0022.htm