Go Back   Access World Forums > Apps and Windows > SQL Server

Old 10-31-2019, 01:33 PM   #1
EricLeBouffon
Newly Registered User

EricLeBouffon is on a distinguished road
Linked table to SQL Server without DSN file?

I have a MS Access database (2013) that I created many years ago which accesses SQL Server tables (2016) through linked tables.

Recently I added a couple of linked tables and seemed forced to use a DSN file in the process.

When deploying my new version to my customer, the link tables fail unless I create a DSN file of the same name on the workstation.

Looking through Linked table manager (see attached screenshot), I can see a difference between these new linked tables and the old ones but I have no idea how I previously managed to avoid using a DSN file...

Any hint?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Linked Tables.jpeg (85.1 KB, 16 views)

EricLeBouffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:36 PM   #2
theDBguy
I知 here to help

Thanked 1,678 Times in 1,633 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Linked table to SQL Server without DSN file?

Hi. Just a guess but that looks like it's maybe a System DSN and not a File DSN because a File DSN would have a filepath, I think. How exactly did you create the new DSN?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:43 PM   #3
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about

All my linked tables have the DSN designation, even though I don't use a separate DSN config.
I wonder if it is the driver.

AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,324 Times in 3,000 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Perhaps you used DSN-less connection strings which means there is no need to setup each workstation separately. None of my linked tables have a DSN designation.

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 4,147 Times in 4,078 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

I mainly use DSN-less but do have an app that uses a File DSN. Neither shows the DSN name in the LTM, nor a path in the case of the File DSN.

pbaldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:32 PM   #6
theDBguy
I知 here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
I mainly use DSN-less but do have an app that uses a File DSN. Neither shows the DSN name in the LTM, nor a path in the case of the File DSN.
This is why I was thinking the OP wasn't using a File DSN but something else.

|
|
Old 10-31-2019, 02:37 PM   #7
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 4,147 Times in 4,078 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold

I'm saying there's no path with a File DSN (at least with 2010), so the fact that there isn't one doesn't indicate anything.

pbaldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:41 PM   #8
theDBguy
I知 here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
I'm saying there's no path with a File DSN (at least with 2010), so the fact that there isn't one doesn't indicate anything.
Oh, sorry. Got it. I forgot the path won't show up because Access automatically converts it to a DSN-less connection string. Cheers!

|
|
Old 10-31-2019, 02:45 PM   #9
EricLeBouffon
Newly Registered User

It is a "System DSN".

It's been a long time since I created the initial table links so I don't remember how it looked.

For the recent linked tables, I was forced initially to create a (system) DSN.
Since then, I just refer to it again and again.

But when copying to my user workstation, it initially failed.

Then I noticed I could get it working by just creating a System DSN of the same name.

It's not really a disaster. Just a bit irritating...
Old 10-31-2019, 02:49 PM   #10
theDBguy
I知 here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLeBouffon View Post
It is a "System DSN".

It's been a long time since I created the initial table links so I don't remember how it looked.

For the recent linked tables, I was forced initially to create a (system) DSN.
Since then, I just refer to it again and again.

But when copying to my user workstation, it initially failed.

Then I noticed I could get it working by just creating a System DSN of the same name.

It's not really a disaster. Just a bit irritating...
Ah, there you go. If you can create a File DSN, you can replace the System DSN with it, and you'll be fine when you install the db on another machine. Otherwise, you could try using a relinking code to switch all your links to DSN-less.

|
|
Old 10-31-2019, 06:16 PM   #11
theDBguy
I知 here to help

Hi Eric. Not sure if you have seen this already, but it might help with your current situation. Cheers!

|
|
The Following User Says Thank You to theDBguy For This Useful Post:
EricLeBouffon (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 12:06 AM   #12
EricLeBouffon
Newly Registered User

Smile Re: Linked table to SQL Server without DSN file?

Perfect!

Thank you very much for your help guys.

This community is truly amazing!
Old 11-01-2019, 08:03 AM   #13
theDBguy
I知 here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLeBouffon View Post
Perfect!

Thank you very much for your help guys.

This community is truly amazing!
Hi. We're here to help. Good luck with your project.

|
|

Tags
sql-server

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: