Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Small Business

Old 03-05-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
cwats
Newly Registered User

cwats is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know good courses to take to learn programming and DB development?

Hey,

I am trying to prepare myself for my new IT position at my brother in law's business. Does anyone know good courses or boot camps to help prepare me for the job?

I have had some success creating a small DB for his business and have been hired on for the IT department. There currently is no IT department so I would be the head guy and I want to be a good one.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

cwats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
theDBguy
Iím here to help

theDBguy will become famous soon enough theDBguy will become famous soon enough
Re: Does anyone know good courses to take to learn programming and DB development?

What would you be doing? What jobs would you be involved? Based on those, we could help you find a good learning direction to take.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:29 AM   #3
cwats
Newly Registered User

Re: Does anyone know good courses to take to learn programming and DB development?

I would be building a full ERP system to begin with and then maintaining it in the future with patches and a updates. I will definitely have to learn how to code and all that.

I'm not too sure outside of that because I have never been involved with IT before.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
cwats
Newly Registered User

theDBguy,

I will be developing MS Access based programs and working with excel. I am going to learn python and other programming languages so i can make apps for the business as well.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwats View Post
theDBguy,

I will be developing MS Access based programs and working with excel. I am going to learn python and other programming languages so i can make apps for the business as well.
Hi. If this is for a business, you might skip Access and learn SQL Server or MySQL instead. "apps" rarely use Access for a database.

|
|
Old 03-05-2019, 01:16 PM   #6
cwats
Newly Registered User

theDBguy

Thats what i was looking for. Thank you for your advise! I have some SQL Knowledge behind me but it was from watching youtube videos. Is there a good place online or class room to sign up for a comprehensive course on SQL?
Old 03-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #7
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Hi. I would say check your local community college for something quick. Otherwise, there's plenty of online classes you could try.

|
|
The Following User Says Thank You to theDBguy For This Useful Post:
cwats (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 01:59 PM   #8
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough Mark_ will become famous soon enough

One of the first items on your plate should be finding out what tasks will be automated and if there are existing solutions that meet your needs. This can be very important the moment "Tax" is considered from a purchase/sales/pay perspective.

If you are selling an item, expect to have to track tax.
If you have an employee, expect to have to track tax.
If you have an expense related to your business, expect to have to track it for tax.

Often a professional product already knows how to deal with these without your company getting in trouble.

Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: