Go Back   Access World Forums > Apps and Windows > Hardware Questions and Answers

Old 03-12-2019, 01:28 AM   #16
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo
Re: Hum Hum Hum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_ View Post
Then again this is a good reason not to earth to your plumbing.
>>>I've connected an old speaker wire between a lug on the PC for attaching some sort of locking mechanism and the radiator<<<

Oops!

-------------oOo---U---oOo-------------
|                                     |
|      Uncle Gizmo              |
| Get $20 worth of "Nifty Code"       |
|      
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| | Ooo | |_________________ooO____( )________| ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)
Uncle Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:00 AM   #17
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,655 Posts
Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Gizmo View Post
>>>I've connected an old speaker wire between a lug on the PC for attaching some sort of locking mechanism and the radiator<<<

Oops!
I think (but am not qualified) that it's part of build regulations to have your plumbing earthed in the UK...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Minty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:03 AM   #18
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,655 Posts
Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough

The distinct tingle is a probably a result of the earthing being poor, allowing a potential difference (voltage) to build up.

In theory once earthed the problem will dissipate (pun intended)

Minty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #19
kevlray
Newly Registered User

kevlray will become famous soon enough

My guess is that the power supply is not properly grounded (or the motherboard has a bad ground connection). Hums in speaker systems a lot of times(back in the day) were caused by a floating ground.
kevlray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #20
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,459 Times in 1,377 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Gizmo View Post
I've connected an old speaker wire between a lug on the PC for attaching some sort of locking mechanism and the radiator.
There is something wrong with the Earth connection from you power point, the lead or the computer power supply.

Quote:
As I was preparing the end of the copper wire, I had attached one end to the PC, I was holding the other end ready to attach it to the radiator when I got the distinct tingle from it. In other words the PC case has some sort of voltage associated with it.
There are capacitors between the live and chassis, and the neutral and chassis designed to bypass high frequency interference to ground. If the chassis is not earthed the bypass capacitors will put small but detectible voltage onto the chassis.

Wherever the earthing has failed, you need to get this fixed.
Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #21
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough Mark_ will become famous soon enough

I'd also open the case and make sure nothing is loose and touching the case. Stray live connection can cause immense problems.
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #22
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,459 Times in 1,377 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_ View Post
I'd also open the case and make sure nothing is loose and touching the case. Stray live connection can cause immense problems.
If that were the problem there would be more than a tingle on the case.

I used to work as a electrical/electronics tech in the renewable energy industry and have first hand experience with bypass capacitors putting small voltages onto unearthed equipment.

Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:47 PM   #23
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,531 Times in 1,420 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I believe I need to refrain from asking what you've chosen for your seat...
Cotton-blend pants on naugahyde seats leads to static buildup. In which case a poor ground will allow you to discharge it in the MOST unexpected ways. But sorry, no cameras were rolling at the time.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:33 PM   #24
Micron
Newly Registered User

Micron will become famous soon enough Micron will become famous soon enough

maybe put a voltmeter between the end of the wire and the radiator?
Old 05-01-2019, 04:21 PM   #25
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micron View Post
maybe put a voltmeter between the end of the wire and the radiator?
Won't that knacker the volt meter?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
|      
Old 05-01-2019, 04:50 PM   #26
Micron
Newly Registered User

Micron will become famous soon enough Micron will become famous soon enough

No, not unless you SEVERELY over load it, which I doubt you could. While I know of one case where one blew up on somebody, that was from putting several thousands of volts into one that shouldn't have had more than about 300 impressed on it. I was a diesel mechanic in a previous work life and did quite well on the electrical side of things, especially on exams. What you'd be doing is checking the potential between the pc case and some ground, which isn't really any different than if you put across a battery (DC) or across your household electrical outlet. The meter won't conduct current unless you've got it set to measure current, so don't do that if it's a multi-meter. Otherwise, as I said, you're just measuring potential. If you get 50V, that's how much is leaking across that wire. NOTE 30VAC is enough to kill you, so I suggest you don't screw around with this issue. If you've got leakage to ground from a power supply or something on that pc case you are playing with danger. Usually these things don't get better - they get worse.
EDIT
Do I have to point out that you don't hold the metal prongs of the meter leads in your hands?? It should go without saying that you need to be insulated, but assumptions can be dangerous.
Micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:13 AM   #27
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micron View Post
I was a diesel mechanic in a previous work life
Well I'm blowed! Same here! I worked on lorries for several years (for The Americans, lorries is an English term for a lorry? In America that would be a truck! Possibly!)

I was also pretty good at sussing out the electrical faults. Mind you I had the opportunity to look under a HGV bonnet recently and there was this big box under there, I think it said something like danger 7000 volts! It was something to do with the electronic diesel injection system. Made me realise that I probably shouldn't consider tinkering with someone's lorry, not without getting a refresher on health and safety!

|      

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: