Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Theory and practice of database design

Old 06-03-2018, 11:29 AM   #1
CosmaL
Newly Registered User

CosmaL is on a distinguished road
Question Database lock

Hello my friends,

I've got a request for a database but i would like to lock the file so when the user will work he will not have access to tables/forms/code/design etc.

An experienced user could use shift to unlock/unhide the tables/routines/forms etc.

Do you suggest any way to totally lock the environment so he could only use the available forms?
I would like to have access in the file just in case there's is a need to modify/back up something.

Thank you in advance!!!!!

Best Regards,
Costas

CosmaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:43 AM   #2
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,491 Times in 2,287 Posts
isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all
Re: Database lock

Suggest you hide the navigation pane and ribbon and distribute as an ACCDE file so the code isn't accessible. However you need to ensure that all required functionality is available from forms
As the developer you would work in the ACCDB version.

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
CosmaL (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
Pat Hartman
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,389 Posts
Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all

The answer to your question is NO. Sadly, MS doesn't give us a way to do this. There are lots of techniques you can use and impediments to put in the way of inquisitive people but essentially, any Access app can be broken.

If this is an application for use within your own company, people need to be informed that attempting to break into the app is a fireable offense. If you are distributing the application out into the wild, you can say whatever you want to in the licensing agreement but to some degree, you will need to rely on people to obey the agreement. I have a couple of applications that are sold - not to the general public but to a more select group and so far I haven't had any problem with people trying to steal my intellectual property or to resell it. Of course the "cooler" your app, the more risk you run. The general public doesn't seem to respect licensing so if you are producing a game (why you would be doing this with Access is beyond me), you are probably out of luck.

CosmaL (06-04-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,537 Times in 1,425 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

You can hide things for a while but if you have anything that someone wants, they WILL break into it. Search this forum for the topic of "Securing a Database" to see many articles on the subject.
The_Doc_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Doc_Man For This Useful Post:
CosmaL (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 05:41 AM   #5
CosmaL
Newly Registered User

CosmaL is on a distinguished road

Thank you all!

I'll try to keep the objects and menus as hidden as i can!

CosmaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: