Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Theory and practice of database design

Old Today, 01:10 AM   #16
jjatwork
Newly Registered User

jjatwork is on a distinguished road
Re: Normalization - Qs about junction tables and booleans.

Sorry about the delay. Been off for the holiday.

@ Doc. Thanks again for the explanation. I've been doing some reading on architecture fundamentals, but there's a lot to take in all at once.

@ Dave. Yes, in theory a flag in the table would do the trick. The problem is, that I've been asked to make two different systems, one that keeps detailed track of parts used etc. and another, where the information is just typed into a string. But I'll try to rethink the design with that in mind.

The colors can be approximate, yes. They are not used for sorting, selecting or anything besides visual identification of the bike.

jjatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:02 AM   #17
gemma-the-husky
Super Moderator

gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all
Re: Normalization - Qs about junction tables and booleans.

Quote:
@ Dave. Yes, in theory a flag in the table would do the trick. The problem is, that I've been asked to make two different systems, one that keeps detailed track of parts used etc. and another, where the information is just typed into a string. But I'll try to rethink the design with that in mind.

I would do this by having a memo notes field in the work order.

you end up with this

workorder table (include a Work Notes field)
workorder parts used table

enter some work notes on each job.
if need be, have a subform to select linked parts.

the job could just be a service, with no parts
if you need to replace a tyre, and brake parts etc, you can add the parts used.

You want to try to design the system to deal with all eventualities in a single streamlined system, It will be much easier than having multiple systems.

The colour is a red herring (sorry). You can either have a lookup table, or just free text. It only matters if you want to do a breakdown of bikes by colour - in which case you need a look up table, as otherwise you will get entry discrepancies and misspellings such as "red, red, read, pink, dark red, red multi" etc. If you have a lookup table, of course, you limit the colours to specific values.

if a poster helps you, please click the scales at the bottom left of this posting, or use the thanks button alongside.
gemma-the-husky is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: