Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Reports

Old 03-26-2019, 09:01 AM   #16
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,088 Times in 2,806 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold
Re: Group on first letter

Open the query or sql you are using for the report record source.
Now add your expression as an extra field and give it a suitable name.
Open your report in design view and use that new field in your group header and in the grouping and sorting section similar to the screenshot in an earlier reply by mickjav.

If you're still stuck after that, suggest you post a stripped down copy of your database with just the parts relevant to this issue.

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:09 AM   #17
June7
AWF VIP

June7 will become famous soon enough June7 will become famous soon enough

I already confirmed that doing the calc in report design does work for me. Group On Expression.

However, try doing the calc in query and see if that resolves your issue.
June7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #18
WysBolo
Newly Registered User

WysBolo is on a distinguished road

I made an abridged version of my database so y'all can help me. It contains the table, query, and report. Strange thing happened. Group on first letter now works in the report. I don't even know where go with that. I think I'll just try adding objects to the abridged database one at a time and see what happens.

WysBolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:43 PM   #19
WysBolo
Newly Registered User

New database works fine. All objects copied over and no issues. I'm glad it worked, and thanks for your help. Never would have found the fix if I hadn't tried to make a copy so you could help. I am very curious, and would really like to know why this happened. Any ideas?
Old 03-26-2019, 01:44 PM   #20
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,088 Times in 2,806 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Its the power of the forum....
Or possibly you had some minor corruption that was fixed by copying to a new database.

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
WysBolo (03-27-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 04:32 PM   #21
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WysBolo View Post
I am very curious, and would really like to know why this happened. Any ideas?
I have no real knowledge about it except my experience and things I've picked up over the years.

I've noticed that if I have some code which causes errors, and I run it many times to try and sort out where the error is, then this seems to breed problems.

Whenever I have a situation like this and it's often once a day, I will copy everything into a new database.

This is the only way that I am happy with, I'm pretty sure everything will move on nicely after doing that.

Now, you can make this very easy for yourself by having what is often termed a "Boilerplate Database".

Set up a brand new, clean database, set the forms to the style you want, set compact on close, if you want that, go into the references and set the references you need. Basically set this boiler plate database up just how are you want it.

Now whenever you have even the slightest hint of a problem, make a copy of this boilerplate, then copy all of your tables, forms, modules, queries, reports, everything into this new database and carry on from there.

The simplistic way of thinking about this problem you can have with MS Access is that MS Access makes periodic copies of itself as you are working. Think of them as layers, one layer might be when you created a form, another layer might be when you added some code to it, another layer might be when you changed that code. I've no idea of the mechanism really, it's just a way I've heard of thinking about it. Then what can happen I understand, is that you can get cross-contamination between these layers. So code that you have deleted, or have changed or something can then; from its sort of shadow existence in one of these layers affect your current version.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
-------------oOo---U---oOo-------------
|                                     |
|      Uncle Gizmo              |
| Get $20 worth of "Nifty Code"       |
|      
| | Ooo | |_________________ooO____( )________| ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)
Uncle Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Gizmo For This Useful Post:
WysBolo (03-27-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 06:34 PM   #22
June7
AWF VIP

June7 will become famous soon enough June7 will become famous soon enough

Sounds reasonable and certainly as good an explanation as any as to why I experienced corruption many times during early stages of db development.

June7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to June7 For This Useful Post:
Uncle Gizmo (03-26-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 04:19 PM   #23
WysBolo
Newly Registered User

I like the idea of the "power of the forum". May the forum be with you all. And copy into new databases regularly!

The Following User Says Thank You to WysBolo For This Useful Post:
Uncle Gizmo (03-27-2019)

Tags
#name? , group header , groupby , nz function , report

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: