Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > The Watercooler

Old 06-28-2018, 10:24 AM   #76
ColinEssex
Old registered user

ColinEssex will become famous soon enough
Re: Trump on Pregnancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothingslosh View Post

Sadly, a lot of people support those policies, too, but some of it is no different than the anti-Muslim backlash washing through Europe (very much including England).
Yes, there are factions of European populace that are anti Muslim. As there is in the USA - didn't Trump want to ban Muslims from entering the USA? But, after your country has endured several serious Muslim extremist attacks with many killed, one does tend to be sceptical of dodgy foreign tanned people.

But in my post, I wasn't referring to specific threats, I merely stated how the USA is being reported and whether that is fair.
As usual, you see a chance to bash a sensible post as it has my name on it, wake up frothy and get that looney out of the White House instead of defending his crazy ideas. Maybe you and Doc should start a Trump loving thread, neither of you seem to grasp what damage he causes, but then he'll get voted in for a second term with the least votes.

Col

Old 06-28-2018, 11:24 AM   #77
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frothingslosh View Post
At this point, I'm pretty much set with Der Orangenführer.
The democrats have a few skeletons.

Franklin D. Roosevelt Was the first President to intern American Citizens and Harry S. Truman incinerated men women and children by the hundreds of thousands, dropping two atomic bombs. Both Democrats. Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest was the KKK’s first grand wizard.

It's pointless and endless.
AccessBlaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:03 PM   #78
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,127 Times in 1,029 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinEssex
Rightly or wrongly, I am given the impression by the USA that they are waving two fingers to the rest of the world. They pull out of any climate change agreements (Kyoto and Paris) despite the USA being the worst polluting country. They impose massive tariffs on imports from Europe and Asia. They have no feelings or respect for human rights - think Guantanamo and all these separated children.
Colin, I will tell you how MANY (but not all) of the USA feels. I do not claim to speak for all USA citizens. But I have seen these ideas expressed by many.

<Begin Devil's Advocate>

The issue with tariffs is that when we accuse others of "evading" fair trade agreements using tricks and "ledger"-demain (pardon the pun), we are sorely chastised, called liars, or told to go whine to someone else. But when we take steps to level the playing field, we are the bad guys.

The bit with the Kyoto and Paris accords is that the rest of the big players there are using the same tactics used by school-yard bullies. They can't pull themselves up to your level so they try to drag you down to theirs. And a lot of people recognize that. (Personally, I don't like pollution any more than anyone else. I see it as a source of organic diseases.) Honoring a badly imbalanced agreement is not a good long-term strategy no matter how you cut it.

USA-based charitable organizations pay good money donated by USA citizens to various human rights organizations to help with child support in impoverished nations, then the USA gets slammed because we want to control our borders and it isn't an easy task. We put terrorists in an isolated detention center because we don't know where else to put them where their rancid and toxic world view won't pollute our general prisons. But I CAN and WILL assure you that the liberal-slanted media will only tell you one side of the story.

DJT is telling the rest of the world that we are tired of being cast as the Great Satan. The other nations like our money but hate our politics. So they suck at Uncle Sugar's teat and then crap all over us. Maybe it is time we weaned some little brats and make them grow up. TAKE some responsibility for cleaning up your own messes. A lot of the illegal immigrants are fleeing violent environments in their homelands. If those countries want our help, they should clean up their messes and get people to stay and WORK with those governments to make things better.

OK, DJT is a ham-fisted politician who puts on golf cleats before he steps on toes. But he's not wrong that he - and many US citizens - are tired of being the bad guy who is tolerated only because we have to bribe the world to like us. If you guys out there hate us so much, do without our money for a while. See how much you miss your water when the well runs dry.

The two fingers, Colin, are quite accurate. If you believe in democracy and the right to forge your own destiny, fine. We are happy to be your friends. But if you cozy up to us because the only thing you like is our money, then - to be blunt: Screw that idea.

It is Americans who have EXACTLY that perception (of how the WORLD sees US) who put DJT in office. Is the perception correct? Damned if I know. I'm guessing it isn't completely like that, though it is probably true for some situations. But is that an accurate statement of how many USA people feel? Yes it is.

<End Devil's Advocate>

Frothy will disagree with me (no surprise there). Perhaps even be morally outraged with me (again, if it happens, no surprise). To be clear, I explicitly agree that this attitude I have described is NOT shared by everyone. But it was exactly this feeling I have just described that led to DJT being elected.

To the members of the forum: I'm not nuts. I'm responding to Colin's question by telling him the basis for some of DJT's actions. He wants to know if this is the way we feel in the USA. The answer is that some people feel strongly this way. Others do not. But the last election showed that a LOT of people really ARE fed up with the way others see us. They are ready to tell the world to go bugger themselves.

The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:22 PM   #79
ColinEssex
Old registered user

I had to smile at Docs rant, sorry, post.

The USA has spent decades pretending to rule and police the world. They tell off countries for nuclear development whilst in silos all over the US is enough firepower to destroy the world. They start wars and then lose.
They have been forever telling us how great they are. Now, they changed their minds and expect the world to understand.

Just what exactly does the USA want? It's awfully confusing.

Col
Old 06-30-2018, 05:00 PM   #80
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
It's awfully confusing.
The USA would like some consistency among supposed allies who take our money and run. We have tried to lead by example but that doesn't work and as we get more and more frustrated, we become less effective examples.

I see it as a pendulum, and perhaps it has begun to swing a bit towards isolationism. Not totally so, but perhaps just a bit.

Part of our strength in the past has been that we wanted multiculturalism. But now, with people thumbing their noses at our border laws and coming in to use our own kindness against us, maybe we are ready put the brakes on all that immigration. Particularly the illegal part.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #81
ColinEssex
Old registered user

Doc, you keep referring to money. I am guessing you are referencing overseas aid?

If so, I kind of agree with you. Last year we gave £400 million to India to help them supply clean water, etc etc etc. Coincidentally, the Indian government spent £400 million on developing a space programme.
We also gave a couple of hundred million to another country (I forget who) and the government there spent it on funding their civil war. Not on rebuilding their country.

As far as I can see, the USA has made its bed as I said earlier and the " pulling up the drawbridge, I'm alright Jack" attitude is the wrong approach. I think the word not in the US vocabulary is "subtlety", do things quietly so nobody notices and don't Tweet every 5 seconds telling an uninterested world.

Col
Old 07-01-2018, 12:15 PM   #82
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Colin, on this subject we can probably agree.

The USA is many things to many people but "subtle" isn't among the "many things."

However, I wasn't ONLY referring to formal governmental aid. The USA is not a centralized government in some ways. People don't understand that about our government. The states are individually sovereign though also in some ways bound to the US constitution. The EU is a similar if not identical concept. The USA people make charitable donations out of their own pockets unrelated to taxes that become government foreign subsidies. So the money to which I referred was not only USA government grants to other countries but also USA citizen-donated monies to charities that can't catch a break.

Last edited by The_Doc_Man; 07-01-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #83
ColinEssex
Old registered user

We had a big scandal a few months back where workers for Oxfam and other charities are spending our donations on prostitutes and other non charitable things. Plus the bosses were skimming money for themselves.

Since then, apparently, millions of people don't now donate to these charities. I stopped donating also, charity begins at home, it's better in my pocket.

It's the USA attitude, look after number one, sod the rest.

Col
Old 07-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #84
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Ah, but Col... don't we all know that phrase, "Charity begins at home" ??
Old 07-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #85
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinEssex View Post

It's the USA attitude, look after number one, sod the rest.

Col
I think that's Bill Clinton's. Since neither is in office any more, the Clinton foundation has ceased to be.
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #86
ColinEssex
Old registered user

I'm led to believe that Americans (just to be awkward) still use imperial weights and measures.
Why are guns measured in millimetres? Or is point 22 something else.

It's just that I'm reading a book and its annoyingly set in America and written by a Yank. It mentioned a 9mm gun, so it struck me as odd as I also know USA gallons are not even the same size as proper gallons.

Plus Americans always use initials for things we never know what they are like CIA, FBI, SWAT, NCI, SEALS etc etc, the list is endless, it's so annoying, you never know if they are goodies or baddies, a bit like American real life I suppose.

Col

Last edited by ColinEssex; 07-11-2018 at 01:51 PM.
ColinEssex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #87
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,401 Times in 1,322 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinEssex View Post
Why are guns measured in millimetres? Or is point 22 something else.
Point 22 inches.

A "45" is 0.45 inches
Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #88
AccessBlaster

AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough AccessBlaster will become famous soon enough

We could have a salient discussion about why United States adopted the 9mm, a firearms cartridge that was designed by Georg Luger and introduced in 1902 by the German weapons manufacturer Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken for their Luger semi-automatic pistol.

But somehow, I doubt explaining the differences between .357-inch Magnum and 9mm is what you are trolling for.
AccessBlaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:41 AM   #89
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Quote:
Americans always use initials for things we never know what they are like CIA, FBI, SWAT, NCI, SEALS etc etc, the list is endless, it's so annoying
You are only looking at the short abbreviations. I used to work as a contractor for the U.S. Navy where EVERYTHING was abbreviated into levels approaching true insanity. When I started 30 years ago, I worked for CNRF Code 10 but that changed when they decided that the Commander, Naval Reserve Force had to be the commander of a command. So it became CNRFC Code 10. That's Commander, Naval Reserve Forces Command. The code 10 is so that nobody would mistake CNRFC10 for CNRFCIO, who was the Information Officer for CNRFC. With me so far?

Then, because Congress decided they wanted to reorganize the support groups and because we had been growing in scope of responsibility, CNRFC10 became NAVRESINFOSYSOFF, the Naval Reserve Information Systems Office, which was an Echelon III command under CNRFC. We wanted NRISO but some other group had already taken that one.

Of course, BUPERS didn't like that - but it didn't surprise anyone that the Bureau of Naval Personnel would dislike having a personnel office not under their command. In all of this, the surprise player was SPAWAR, the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command, who took over ALL of the computer-related offices that had been growing like weeds with the greater availability of very powerful computers to provide previously unimagined services. (Previously unimagined by the unimaginative military mind, that is.) Have I lost you yet?

So SPAWAR took over and consolidated literally THOUSANDS of small offices that had computer centers where the personnel really weren't needed full-time but they had to be available for emergencies at any time. All those underutilized sys admins and DBAs and operations staffers and project programmers etc. got jammed together in several NEDCs - Navy Enterprise Data Centers. That way, they would be run ragged by the larger number of servers and projects they had to manage, thus soaking up all of those underused personnel.

I was in NEDC NO (that's the New Orleans center) where we had at least 60 projects and over 1200 servers. But of course, to assure continuity of operations, we had stand-by sites that had mirrors of our production systems under the COOP - that's Continuity Of Operations Program - and in fact that is why NEDC NO has such a good reputation. We survived Hurricane Katrina that devastated a city, but we kept on serving the USN (that's United States Navy, of course) with minimal down-time.

Of course, just for snorts & giggles, our COOP site was San Diego, the home of USPACFLEET HQ - the USA Pacific Fleet Headquarters...

Is that enough alphabet soup for you, Col? And for what it is worth, what I just described to you is absolutely factual (except for the editorial comments about the military mind, which is almost but not quite an oxymoron).
Old 07-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #90
ColinEssex
Old registered user

AB, what you need to remember is that a lot of the rest of the world a) does not use or carry guns, most UK people have never seen a real gun let alone know what point 22 means, and b) most USA initials are peculiar to the USA unless we read them in books or see them on those Z rated USA cop shows, even then it can be a guessing game.

There is a real world outside your picket fenced glorious USA. Not every civil question asked is a "troll" as you ridiculously seem to think.

Thanks Doc for your interesting answer.
Oh by the way, your idol and loving leader Donald is in the UK now, it's cost us £30 million to facilitate him and all his entourage. That's £30 million not now able to be spent on our ailing NHS or decrepit roads. What a waste!

Col

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: