Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Reports

Old 09-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
otto
Newly Registered User

otto is on a distinguished road
"Auto Height" vs. "Can Grow" / "Can Shrink"

Hello everybody!

I can't grasp the difference between "Auto Height" and "Can Grow" / "Can Shrink" properties which are available for some sections in reports and forms like detail section. The MS help wasn't clear.

As I understand it, "Auto Height" is the same as the other two together. Is it really so?

AutoHeight:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/office/developer/office-2007/bb225494(v=office.12)?redirectedfrom=MSDN

CanGrow:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/office/developer/office-2007/bb225499(v=office.12)?redirectedfrom=MSDN

CanShrink:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/office/developer/office-2007/bb225500(v=office.12)?redirectedfrom=MSDN

Thanks for any clarification.

Otto

otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:55 PM   #2
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,077 Times in 1,058 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: "Auto Height" vs. "Can Grow" / "Can Shrink"

Hi Otto. They could be doing the same thing, or at the very least, they are having the same effect. But the way I understand it, AutoHeight depends on the sizes of the controls in the section, and CanGrow depends on the data contained in the control.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theDBguy For This Useful Post:
otto (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 12:12 AM   #3
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,646 Times in 3,516 Posts
CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light

cangrow also only works when printing a form (or report) it has no effect on a form viewed onscreen

CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CJ_London For This Useful Post:
otto (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 05:47 AM   #4
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,732 Times in 1,702 Posts
Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough Minty is a jewel in the rough

@CJ - Can grow does work on a report view and a report viewed IN a form. It's good way of varying the height of a memo type field within a form for viewing purposes.

But correct it doesn't work at all on a normal form.

Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:15 AM   #5
CJ_London
Super Moderator

CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light

my bad - should have said report view
Old 09-11-2019, 06:44 AM   #6
otto
Newly Registered User

otto is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your answers.

Okay now I understand it, at least theoretically. So I I've created a form with formheader visible to see it in action. The AutoHeight property for the formheader is set to Yes. At the bottom of the form I put a textfield (init height 300) who's height I set in VBA.

Code:
Private Sub cmdResizeField_Click()
Me.txtFieldToResize.Height = Me.txtFieldHeight.Value
End Sub
Now if I set the height of the textfield to say 1000, the formheaders height grows correctly. However if I set the height of the textfield back to say 100, the height of the formheader does not shrink as I would expect it.

Is this a bug or a feature or do I miss something?
otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #7
Pat Hartman
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,497 Posts
Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all Pat Hartman is a name known to all

The use of Auto Height is unclear at best. It seems to do what CanGrow does but clearly there is some subtle distinction. Maybe it is relevant when you print a form. Unless you have time to investigate, just stick with CanGrow and CanShrink since we know what they do.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #8
CJ_London
Super Moderator

if you want to adjust a section height (header/detail/footer) after reducing the height (or top) of the lowest control, just set its height to 0 - it will then default to the minimum height it can given the bottom of the lowest control. e.g.

(header) section height=2000
lowest control - top 1500, height 300

me.header.height=0

will change the header height to 1800

edit: the above is aircode

header is me.section(1)
footer is me.section(2)
detail is me.section(0)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: