Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > The Watercooler

 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
speakers_86
I am jack's comment.
 
speakers_86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: JBLM, Wa
Posts: 1,919
Thanks: 11
Thanked 160 Times in 119 Posts
speakers_86 will become famous soon enough
My Life

What the hell am I going to do with it??

I am tired of trying to figure out where I fit in life.

I am currently a water damage technician working for my dad, but his company is about to go out of business. He is struggling to keep it going, but if I leave, thats it, doors closed (I'm the only technician).

I could go and work for a competitor, which I am thinking very seriously of doing. I could take a class and become an insurance adjuster. Or I could finish school and do God-knows-what, but that would mean a third attempt at Intermediate Accounting III. Man has that class whipped my @$$. I have discovered that I don't even like accounting. If I do go back to school, what the hell for? I still don't know what I want to do. I once was thinking about going into db design (whatever that field is called), but I am not so sure I want to do that for the rest of my life. Yes, it's a fun hobby of mine, but do I want to sit behind a desk debugging software I don't even care about? In fact, do I want to sit behind a desk at all? I think that is why I am hesitant to finish school. I don't think that I want to. Maybe that's why I like being a water damage technician, I am road. Don't have to sit behind a desk. Plus it is very rewarding. When I perform work, I can see what I have accomplished (ie, the house is dry when I am done).

None of those options seems very appealing to me. I feel like there is no where to go. Today I began pondering (I say pondering because its just a thought) enlisting in the military, something I thought of doing senior year of high school. Just because I have no money, hardly have a job, and after a year of being on my own, am now moving back with my parents because of the economy. Really, what reason do I have not to? I would get regular checks (that won't bounce), housing, and work out all the time. I love going to the gym, but as a water tech I have irregular hours, so it is hard to keep a schedule.

When I step back and ask myself what I want to do, I don't know. I feel like that guy in office space, who says he wants to do nothing. That's me. But of course, unless I want to be homeless, that is not exactly an option.

And to top this all off, I have no friends. So I have to resort to family or ranting endlessly on the internet.

I guess I just feel like my life isn't where it should be right now. I feel like I should have a job, though a stable one, ready to start my career, living comfortably in an apartment, ready to settle down with someone and start thinking about kids in the next ~3 years. Of course, that is not where I am. In fact, none of those goals are even close to met. Growing up (as a child), I had my entire life planed out. I was going to join the army to get through college (my family was poor, and may be again soon ), and be an astronaut.

Depressing isn't it. Maybe this is why I have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning, or getting away from my computer screen, or stop searching this forum late into the night long after everyone has stopped posting.

That's it for now. Sorry for the rant.

__________________
If you look, you can find anything.
Google is your friend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Access 2010 screw this! I went back to 2007
Windows 7
speakers_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
pono1
Newly Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,186
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pono1 will become famous soon enough
Re: My Life

Sit back and relax but set a goal... Along those lines I'd seriously consider focusing seriously on getting a degree...any degree. Study anthropology if accounting isn't your thing... Once the degree is in your hands, you can go back to fretting or move on to another goal...
pono1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
oumahexi
Free Range Witch
 
oumahexi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brig O'doon
Posts: 1,998
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
oumahexi is on a distinguished road
Re: My Life

Pono1 is right, a degree will be helpful. You will find that it opens doors, not necessarily in the field of study, which is good because you get to study something you really enjoy like philosophy, and someone will still employ you as, say, a DBA.

You are still young so don't fret so much that life hasn't turned out as you planned it, it rarely does. Take on each new chapter in your life as a challenge, try not to hurt anyone along the way and live your life the best you can, just give it your all. Then, when you're older you will be able to look back and have no regrets. Would you rather spend the next 50 years accumulating vast amounts of money and looking back to realise you had no time to live your life or would you prefer to live life to the full and look back and see you have accumulted sufficient to retire on but oh, those brilliant memories to keep you smiling through your dotage?

Either way, you're not actually a person who should be worrying too much, although it looks like you have been dealt a raw deal, you will always land on your feet, no matter what life throws at you.

__________________
And ever mind the Rule of Three:
What ye send out, comes back to thee.
oumahexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:39 PM   #4
Mike375
Newly Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,495
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Mike375 will become famous soon enough Mike375 will become famous soon enough
Re: My Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by oumahexi View Post
Would you rather spend the next 50 years accumulating vast amounts of money and looking back to realise you had no time to live your life or would you prefer to live life to the full and look back and see you have accumulted sufficient to retire on but oh, those brilliant memories to keep you smiling through your dotage?
The socialism on this forum is unreal. In fact it appears to be loser's paradise.

And speakers_86, why you would post this shit up is beyond me. You appear to be just another loser...the world owes me a living etc.....

But oumahexi will lead you to loser's paradise but it looks like you won't need much leading.
Mike375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:02 AM   #5
Mike375
Newly Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,495
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Mike375 will become famous soon enough Mike375 will become famous soon enough
Re: My Life

Buy the book Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.

You can down load it as a PDF from the internet but not the same as having the book. Reading books from the screen is a waste of time.

In other words....buy the book...

The book has a lot of "God" stuff which is not suprising given the reference base. Could you imagine Henry Ford working from a "no belief system"

Remove yourself from the atheist/theist threads. Posting as a non believer in anything would be exausting.

Do you have belief in yourself? Do you have any beliefs. If so, spit them out

Mike375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:04 AM   #6
Rich
Newly Registered User
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: searching the truth
Posts: 2,898
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rich is on a distinguished road
Re: My Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike375 View Post
The socialism on this forum is unreal. In fact it appears to be loser's paradise.

And speakers_86, why you would post this shit up is beyond me. You appear to be just another loser...the world owes me a living etc.....

But oumahexi will lead you to loser's paradise but it looks like you won't need much leading.
Capitalist pig
__________________
Amateurs...built the ark.Professionals...built the Titanic
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:17 AM   #7
Mike375
Newly Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,495
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Mike375 will become famous soon enough Mike375 will become famous soon enough
Re: My Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Capitalist pig
speakers_86...you see, the first one has posted.

They are the losing end of town. In fact they can prove it.

If you have faith in yourself.....that is all that is required PLUS working your arse off. One with out the other and it is a No Go.

How much cold calling did you do in the last 2 weeks?

Mike375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:20 AM   #8
Rabbie
Super Moderator
 
Rabbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Returning to Scotland
Posts: 5,906
Thanks: 110
Thanked 76 Times in 68 Posts
Rabbie is a jewel in the rough Rabbie is a jewel in the rough Rabbie is a jewel in the rough
Re: My Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike375 View Post
Could you imagine Henry Ford working from a "no belief system"

I imagine he worked from a strong belief in himself and his business ideas.
__________________
The best solution is the simplest one that meets all requirements.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #9
Rich
Newly Registered User
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: searching the truth
Posts: 2,898
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rich is on a distinguished road
Re: My Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike375 View Post
speakers_86...you see, the first one has posted.

They are the losing end of town. In fact they can prove it.
Well that's odd, I've been running my own business for longer than you and it doesn't involve fleecing Joe public
__________________
Amateurs...built the ark.Professionals...built the Titanic
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:31 AM   #10
JamesLast99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JamesLast99 is on a distinguished road
Re: My Life

Well if you work it out let me know.I say Dentist.If I was a little younger - I would retrain as a dentist. Sort of your own boss, even NHS here. Meet people all day, get paid enough that you could still spend half the day playing golf, in the gym whatever whatever if you want.Good luck!
JamesLast99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:38 AM   #11
Mike375
Newly Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,495
Thanks: 2
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Mike375 will become famous soon enough Mike375 will become famous soon enough
Re: My Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbie View Post
I imagine he worked from a strong belief in himself and his business ideas.
Plus.....lots of work. Lots of doors banged on. But he had the burning desire and as you know...God only helps those who help themselves.

If the bloke who started thead is for real, then he can't go wrong with Think and Grow Rich. If he is for real then a blessing in disguise has arrived for him.

But he may decide to miss the opportunity and just go with a job.
Mike375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:43 AM   #12
Rich
Newly Registered User
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: searching the truth
Posts: 2,898
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rich is on a distinguished road
Re: My Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike375 View Post
, then he can't go wrong with Think and Grow Rich.
It's that dogma that's driven the world to near bankruptcy
__________________
Amateurs...built the ark.Professionals...built the Titanic
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:54 AM   #13
Atomic Shrimp
Humanoid lifeform
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portsmouth, England
Posts: 1,954
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Atomic Shrimp has a spectacular aura about Atomic Shrimp has a spectacular aura about
Re: My Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike375 View Post
The socialism on this forum is unreal.
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Atomic Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:05 AM   #14
Rabbie
Super Moderator
 
Rabbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Returning to Scotland
Posts: 5,906
Thanks: 110
Thanked 76 Times in 68 Posts
Rabbie is a jewel in the rough Rabbie is a jewel in the rough Rabbie is a jewel in the rough
Re: My Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike375 View Post
...God only helps those who help themselves.
And God help those caught helping themselves
__________________
The best solution is the simplest one that meets all requirements.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:13 AM   #15
stopher
AWF VIP
 
stopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southampton, UK
Posts: 2,396
Thanks: 20
Thanked 311 Times in 292 Posts
stopher is a jewel in the rough stopher is a jewel in the rough stopher is a jewel in the rough stopher is a jewel in the rough
Re: My Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakers_86 View Post
And to top this all off, I have no friends. So I have to resort to family or ranting endlessly on the internet.
Join one or more clubs.

In the UK it's very easy to join a local football team. Keeps you fit and you meet a lot of people some of which you will build up a friendship.

Maybe a club of a hobby you like e.g. photography - you will meet a wide range of different people, male & female of all ages.

There are plenty of commerce societies in the UK - you must have the same in Florida. These will help you develop your commerce skills and help build your confidence. You will also network with lots of working people from different backgrounds and who are at different levels. It will help you see a bigger picture of whats out there. You will also make friends.


Quote:
Originally Posted by speakers_86 View Post
Depressing isn't it. Maybe this is why I have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning, or getting away from my computer screen, or stop searching this forum late into the night long after everyone has stopped posting.
As already mentioned, you need to set short, medium and long term goals. If you don't have a goal then you will never reach it. For instance your first goal could be to join a club. It will give you a reason to get up in the morning. As soon as you wake up, say to yourself "today I'm going to research and join a club". Always have goals otherwise you will do nothing.

Treat these forums the way you would treat a crossword book. It's fine to fill in the odd hour doing something you are interested in, but you wouldn't want to spent your entire free time doing crosswords however much you enjoy them.

Chris

stopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need help making my idea come to life please :) AWilderbeast Forms 1 08-06-2007 04:59 AM
Office Life Rusty The Watercooler 3 10-15-2006 03:59 AM
Entertainment that Best Depicts American Life jsanders The Watercooler 101 10-02-2006 11:44 AM
Jon K You're A Life Saver billyw1953 Queries 0 01-22-2004 02:03 PM




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:47 AM.


Microsoft Access Help
General
Tables
Queries
Forms
Reports
Macros
Modules & VBA
Theory & Practice
Access FAQs
Code Repository
Sample Databases
Video Tutorials

Featured Forum post


Sponsored Links


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) copyright 2017 Access World