Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > Access World News

Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
Jon
Access World Site Owner

Thanked 1,883 Times in 62 Posts
Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future
Site restored

The site has been restored to about 24 hours ago. The power outage at the data centre caused crashed tables. Rather than try to repair them and risk having a database lacking integrity, I decided to get the most recent backup.

So, you will have lost all posts in the last 24 hours. But better that than a site that starts to get more and more problems in the future.

Jon
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
pbaldy
Wino Moderator

Thanked 4,076 Times in 4,011 Posts
pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold pbaldy is a splendid one to behold
Re: Site restored

Thanks Jon. At least they had a backup! As somebody mentioned elsewhere, I'm surprised a data center doesn't have backup power. We're a relatively small company and we have a generator that kicks in as soon as the power goes out. That and UPS units keep everything important running no matter what.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pbaldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Jon
Access World Site Owner

Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future

I was told that their backup power supply also developed a fault. I was arguing all day with my host to get them to restore from a backup rather than do a repair. They seemed to be very reluctant. Probably takes a bit more effort. But we all know what can happen to an Access database if it gets corrupted. Better to get a non-corrupt version thank you.

Jon
Old 04-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
mdlueck
Sr. Application Developer

mdlueck will become famous soon enough mdlueck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I was arguing all day with my host to get them to restore from a backup rather than do a repair.
Say Jon, I would be happy to share a bit of my Bash scripting knowledge with you. I have scripted reliable MySQL backups (both MyISAM and InnoDB formats), retain N days worth of backups, and send an email alert when a backup should fail. I also scripted a download of the web server daily backup to a computer at our office location. No need to deal with the hosting provider in that case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mdlueck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
Jon
Access World Site Owner

That is very kind of you. Regretfully, my knowledge is a bit weak in how to backup etc. But my host advertises hourly backups, nightly, etc. They are a top end host for forums but their data centre let them down.

I think I need to workout how to do a single backup first! I've had my host do it for me before so I could download, but I need to learn it myself really. I should run through an online course or something, but, like some new Access users, I find it a bit overwhelming!

Jon
Old 04-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
mdlueck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I think I need to workout how to do a single backup first!
I will contact you directly to share some jams and jellies.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
mdlueck

Check your email address, Jon.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #8
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,492 Times in 1,408 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Look into bit level backup systems. Basically they take a snapshot of the file system and then any changes are recorded with timestamps. It is like backup up the changed files but right down at the bit level.

They are superfast and use very little bandwidth to transfer offsite so they can be run virtually continuously. The optimal time between snapshots depends on how much your data changes.

When failure strikes you might only lose a few seconds of data.

Galaxiom is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: