Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Forms

Old 07-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #1
kirkm
Newly Registered User

kirkm is on a distinguished road
Why doesn't the label stay on your Form

In design view, you click on Label, drag it onto the form and let go.

What are you supposed to do next ? Everything I do results in the label just disappearing. You can't even get to it's properties - or can you?

kirkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
arnelgp
error reading drive A:

Thanked 2,701 Times in 2,586 Posts
arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice
Re: Why doesn't the label stay on your Form

you have to type sonething in the caption. you can only delete the caption in the Property otherwise the label will be deleted.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:34 PM   #3
kirkm
Newly Registered User

I see. So you have to put something only to remove it later? I found that but thought it was so stupid there must be another way.
Usually I spend an hour or so Googling to figure some of this out but often that drives you crazy looking for something e.g. ( "View") only to find it doesn't have what the instructions say is there.
I hope I can ask you a couple more things. I've dragged a pile of option buttons onto a Form and selected them but can't find Font in the Property sheet. Can I get to it anyhow?

Size-Space and "Equal Vertical". No way does this give them all the same vertical spacing. Is this option for something else?

To separate the label from the button (apart from Control x Control v where you must reposition the label afterwards) can you move them all to the left at once ?

Thanks.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:33 PM   #4
arnelgp
error reading drive A:

Thanked 2,701 Times in 2,586 Posts
arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice

I only experimented it today and found that its true you cannot adjust the spacing of each radio button.
also the labels are impossible to move to left. what I did was delete all labels and inserted new label to the left. then on each radio button, I associated the labels to them using Label Name property.
MickJav (07-14-2019), Uncle Gizmo (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 08:45 PM   #5
kirkm
Newly Registered User

Goodoo, thanks for getting back to me and confirming there's no better way. Will get there in the end!
Old 07-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #6
Micron
AWF VIP

Micron has a spectacular aura about Micron has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Size-Space and "Equal Vertical". No way does this give them all the same vertical spacing.
I don't get that, or most of the other seemingly impossible things. I put several on a form and chose to space equally - no problem. Put labels on the left too. As for a font, why would you expect to see font properties for a control that has no text? Am I misunderstanding the problems?
I agree, the label thing catches me off guard still, sometimes. Assuming you need the label, then type anything in it next time and it will stay. You don't need the property sheet to edit a label.
P.S. - you do know that option buttons are not of much use if not embedded in a frame, yes?

Label left and unevenly spaced

Arrange>Size/Space>Equal Vertical
Attached Images
File Type: jpg opts1.jpg (27.4 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg opts2.jpg (36.2 KB, 95 views)
Old 07-13-2019, 09:09 PM   #7
kirkm
Newly Registered User

Your Access may be better/later ? Certainly doesn't work here. How did you paste a pic into your message ?
The font property was for the labels.
I don't have them in a Frame - just on a Form. Did you move the labels to the left of the button manually one by one? I could not select them as everything was kind of all together.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:39 PM   #8
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnelgp View Post
labels are impossible to move to left. what I did was delete all labels and inserted new label to the left. then on each radio button, I associated the labels to them using Label Name property.
That's an excellent tip thank you arnelgp!

Seeing as the associated label property is a relatively new feature of MS Access, I wasn't aware of how handy it could be!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
-------------oOo---U---oOo-------------
|                                     |
|      Uncle Gizmo              |
| Get $20 worth of "Nifty Code"       |
|      
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| | Ooo | |_________________ooO____( )________| ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)

Last edited by Uncle Gizmo; 07-13-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Uncle Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Gizmo For This Useful Post:
arnelgp (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 11:06 PM   #9
kirkm
Newly Registered User

Handy? I'm missing something here.
I found selecting each Label (or option button) with Control then allowed one left setting for all. But drawing a rectangle to multi-select was hopeless. Also a Font Property then showed up. But as for Vertical spacing - could not.. Arne says No and Micron yes. Different versions of Access? I'm using 2016.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:14 PM   #10
June7
AWF VIP

June7 will become famous soon enough June7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkm View Post
I could not select them as everything was kind of all together.
Sounds like controls are in a grouped layout. This can be frustrating when trying to rearrange things. I never group controls. The form wizard always groups controls. Select all controls then right click > Layout > Remove.

I had no problem dragging radio button associated label to left side.
June7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:39 PM   #11
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,843 Times in 2,593 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

For what its worth ...
1. If you just type a space into a label caption it will not be deleted.
2. To move a radio button label to the left of the button, drag its right border to the left of the button so you are effectively 'reversing it'. Then adjust its width.
You can do this for all labels in an option group at once

Both work in all versions of Access AFAIK

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:12 AM   #12
Gasman
Enthusiastic Amateur

Gasman has a spectacular aura about Gasman has a spectacular aura about Gasman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Gizmo View Post
That's an excellent tip thank you arnelgp!

Seeing as the associated label property is a relatively new feature of MS Access, I wasn't aware of how handy it could be!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
No wonder I could not find it.

Please, please use code tag # when posting code snippets

Gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:58 AM   #13
isladogs
Part time moderator

isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Gizmo View Post
It was added to Access 365 in June 2017.
However you've always been able to associate unattached labels with a control.
Right click the label (or both label & control together) to see the context menu item.
Personally I find the old method quicker to do as no typing needed

Website links:

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
Old 07-14-2019, 03:35 AM   #14
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,643 Times in 3,513 Posts
CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light

other thing to do to associate a label to a control it is to delete the label (ctrl-x), select the control you want to associate it with and the paste (ctrl-v)

To my mind, only benefit of associating a label is a) if you hide the control it hides the associated label and b) the label takes on some of the events of the control such as click, mouse move etc
CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:01 AM   #15
isladogs
Part time moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_London View Post
To my mind, only benefit of associating a label is a) if you hide the control it hides the associated label and b) the label takes on some of the events of the control such as click, mouse move etc
Both of those are fairly significant benefits in my opinion

Also, in earlier versions, unassociated labels on a tab control were determined to be one of the causes of screen flicker. The advice at that time was to ensure all labels were associated with a control. Not sure if it still applies
https://www.experts-exchange.com/que...cess-2003.html

Website links:

Colin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: