Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > Access World News

Old 09-14-2018, 07:30 PM   #16
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,108 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold
Re: Seeking a favour: Please help me populate my new forum!

I might join later. At the moment I am caring for an ailing wife at the same time that I have to help with my grandson after school (which just recently started up again) because wifey has a huge cast on her leg and can't drive. Purely temporary, no complications to the surgery, and she'll be fine. But I'll be a wreck for a while after that. And I've had to limit my visits to this forum because of suddenly becoming both chauffeur and gofer. The latter as in "go for this, go for that..."

The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:22 PM   #17
NauticalGent
Pristine Curmudgeon
Gold Supporter

NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassago View Post
Seems I am still blocked at work. The filter says it's an "Uncategorized URL." It must be through some sort of white list. I can access most of the internet, just not any social sites and such.
Well, I was going to hold my tongue, but since Vassago breached the subject, I will comment only because you(Jon) took the time and effort to make it accessible at work.

I tried to access the site from work and although it didn't get blocked, I could not access it. Something about the SSL cert being out-dated. I wish I had took better note of the error but I was not planing on being a PITA about it since most of my time on AWF and other sites are when I am home.

For Doc: I hope the wife convalesces well, you will be fine!
Old 09-15-2018, 12:01 AM   #18
NauticalGent
Pristine Curmudgeon
Gold Supporter

NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
...but in my view, XenForo is now leader of the pack. It is super-modern, easy to use, better moderation functions and one last thing. I love the way you can - to start a new thread - just start typing in the title of the thread in the Thread Title bar at the top of the forum. Then it expands out to complete your message. Smooth!
Concur...the site optics are great. Is there move to XenForo in AWF's future?

Old 09-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #19
Jon
Access World Site Owner

Thanked 1,824 Times in 59 Posts
Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future

I have considered such a move. My biggest fear is that I may lose traffic to the site. I am not sure what Google will do as they are a law unto themselves. So, I fear the downside more than the upside. It is human nature to think this way, at least that is what the research says in the book Think Fast and Flow.

Other fears include losing long standing members Thank counts, general disharmony and complaining, Brexit and other things.

Jon
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:27 AM   #20
Jon
Access World Site Owner

Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future

Just a quick note to say that after only 4 days we are up to 200+ posts in themindtavern.com. A big thanks to those forum posters from here who have engaged and helped out. You know who you are!

Jon
Old 09-20-2018, 05:43 AM   #21
Jon
Access World Site Owner

It is nearly nine days now since The Mind Tavern started and we are up to 500+ posts. Anyone from here who has yet to join in, please do so. You are very welcome over there.

And a big thumbs up to those members from here who decided to participate. You know who you are.

Jon
Old 10-14-2018, 07:45 AM   #22
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo

I must say that the PC version of the forum software is fantastic, but what is really brilliant is the display on your Mobile, it's just like an App!

-------------oOo---U---oOo-------------
|                                     |
|      Uncle Gizmo              |
| Get $20 worth of "Nifty Code"       |
|      
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| | Ooo | |_________________ooO____( )________| ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)
Uncle Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:42 AM   #23
Jon
Access World Site Owner

Thanks for the feedback Uncle. I must say I do prefer the software to the one used on this site.

Jon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: