Go Back   Access World Forums > Apps and Windows > Web Design and Development

Old 04-20-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
jan@BRU
Newly Registered User

jan@BRU is on a distinguished road
ABSOLUTE WEB beginner's question

Folks,

I appreciate that this question is absolute rookie level, still I hope you forgive for still asking it.

I have been developing ms access desktop applications for some time, works ok, for what it's worth. Recently moved to access 2010 and discovered the "deploy it easily on the web" functionalities. I tested to create some web access databases and works fine...

BUT: How do I actually deploy them to the web. I have a domain registered and a hosting service... but can't get to upload my nice and new database with all its form, bells and whistles?

Do I have to authorize that at the hosting service? Don't I need to provide any passwords and stuff...

The demo videos you find everywhere on the web, just plainly skip that configuration step and just say "upload it to the sharepoint site".... but how?

Thanks,

Jan

jan@BRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
Mr. B
"Doctor Access"

Mr. B has a spectacular aura about Mr. B has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B
Re: ABSOLUTE WEB beginner's question

Access databases developed for Web deployment can only be used from a SharePoint site.

SharePoint is defined and explained here:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sh...010378184.aspx

Here is a video about what SharePoint is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19NLKQBXxoM

If you do not have your own instance of SharePoint on a server, or you do not work for a company that has SharePoint available, you can rent space on a SharePoint server.

A quick search for "rent sharepoint server space" will produce multiple results where anyone can get their own SharePoint space.

Hope this helps.

Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
jan@BRU
Newly Registered User

jan@BRU is on a distinguished road

Hello,
thanks for the reply. I have done as told. Thing is, the only thing I can find in the way of Sharepoint server space is something that costs upwards of 30$/month just for that service , while my regular hosting is something like 5$...

Two additional questions on that:

- While I appreciate, this shouldn't be an advertisement site, but does the community have any advise on a "cheap" sharepoint addition to my normal hosting ...
- Would I have to bring over my regular hosting to the new hoster's website, or can you "hook" up the Sharepoint services as a subdomain to the existing hosting? I mean, not that I cared either, it's just to know on how to do it.

Many thanks once again,

Jan

jan@BRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Mr. B
"Doctor Access"

Mr. B has a spectacular aura about Mr. B has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B

The space you would lease on the SharePoint server would be where you would have to have your Access database. You would not need your other hosting for your database. I suppose you could have a link on your hosted site to the SharePoint site where your database would be located.

The two are totally seperate.

I really can't give you any advise on leasing space on a SharePoint server. I am currently working a contract with a internation company and they have their own SharePoint server as well as multiple sites for the world wide company.

Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
Trevor G
Newly Registered User

Trevor G will become famous soon enough Trevor G will become famous soon enough

Jan one option maybe to convert your Access Database to VB.NET and use and SQL Database as trhe back end. your provider would be able to advices you with help files to convert and what other information maybe needed.

Also have you considered looking to use Open Source software, something like Joomla 1.52 or WordPress. As it states these are Open Source so that means its free. You would need the support of an SQL database which your provider could provide.

You can run all sorts of Shopping carts, have secure areas for your members etc to log into.
Please remember everyone here is a volunteer, so if you have had a reply to your thread be courteous and acknowledge this.
Trevor G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trevor G For This Useful Post:
mispiece (07-03-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #6
mispiece
Banned

mispiece is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: ABSOLUTE WEB beginner's question

I think Trevor's advice is probably the easiest way out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
Jan one option maybe to convert your Access Database to VB.NET and use and SQL Database as trhe back end. your provider would be able to advices you with help files to convert and what other information maybe needed.

Also have you considered looking to use Open Source software, something like Joomla 1.52 or WordPress. As it states these are Open Source so that means its free. You would need the support of an SQL database which your provider could provide.

You can run all sorts of Shopping carts, have secure areas for your members etc to log into.

mispiece is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: