Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Gadgets

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
scott-atkinson
I'm with the Witch.......

scott-atkinson will become famous soon enough
Television Evolution

Where do you see the evolution of the humble Television going next???

We have had Black & White, Colour, Portable TV's, Flat Screen's, Plasma, LCD, LED, HD, and now 3D...

Where do you see it going next....

Perhaps with the newly discovered Graphene we will have 3D HD Televisions produced on a roll that you simply stick to your wall with double sided tape...

Or perhaps somewhere Holographic Television is being developed and this will be the next big thing...

What's your view??

Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Adam Caramon

Adam Caramon is on a distinguished road
Re: Television Evolution

Interactive television. Might start off as something as simple as voting via a social networking site controls content on a particular channel (voting for music videos would seem to be a natural fit).

Channels that provide multiple feeds of different angles I could see being utilized for some types of programming.

The screen sizes will continue to get bigger, but I wouldn't be surprised to see TV glasses or something similar that allows you to watch all of your favorite programming where ever you are.
Adam Caramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Vassago
Administrator

Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about

We already have a new definition to contend with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_h...ion_television

4-8x High Definition top standards with a 120 refresh rate in the words.

3d has existed for years. I don't think 3d will ever really be fully adopted by the average home viewer until we develop the technology that makes in lens-less on large displays and sports programs are filmed in 3d. I'm sure we will be there one day, but until then, it's a novelty that gets old very fast.

I think we will have that before we have true holographic tv. We do have holographic games being tested by Nintendo and they are on the Holography System Development Forum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

This kind of technology is still years away. Could you imagine being Mario in your living room?

Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
Alansidman
AWF VIP

Alansidman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Alansidman

A former college roommate of mine writes a newsletter on techonology and this month after attending CES, here are his comments. Scroll down a page or so and see what he says about the future of Television.

http://www.ishindler.com/newsletters...ive_On_CES.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Win 7 Office XP, 2007, 2010
Alansidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
Isskint
Slowly Developing

Isskint will become famous soon enough

I remember seeing a tech show on TV (maybe early 2012, late 2011). They showed a mock up of a TRUE 3D display that would NOT require glasses. It would use a gas/smoke medium to serve as a 'screen' for a projector. The mock up suggested you would place the device in the center of a room and each viewer would see a slightly different view. As i say, it was a mock up, but i do remember some tech guy suggesting the ability was already in place, the only problem was overcoming moisture issues or smoke damage form the display medium.

On another tack, there have been a few people who have received 'bionic' eyes. The most recent recipient is able to see fairly good images. With the increasing ability of science to 'read' the mind, is it beyond the possibility that we may get TV 'beamed' direct to the brain?

Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out
Isskint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
Vassago
Administrator

Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isskint View Post
I remember seeing a tech show on TV (maybe early 2012, late 2011). They showed a mock up of a TRUE 3D display that would NOT require glasses. It would use a gas/smoke medium to serve as a 'screen' for a projector. The mock up suggested you would place the device in the center of a room and each viewer would see a slightly different view. As i say, it was a mock up, but i do remember some tech guy suggesting the ability was already in place, the only problem was overcoming moisture issues or smoke damage form the display medium.

On another tack, there have been a few people who have received 'bionic' eyes. The most recent recipient is able to see fairly good images. With the increasing ability of science to 'read' the mind, is it beyond the possibility that we may get TV 'beamed' direct to the brain?
We already have contacts in the work that are expected to run a version of Android. Who knows?

We also have 3d displays that don't require glasses. The Nintendo 3DS and HTC Evo 3D phone come to mind. There is a lot of work to be done to increase this to HDTV sizes though.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:46 AM   #7
scott-atkinson

What do you think Holographic Television will look like?

I envisage, a small box situated in the middle of the room in the floor, the box switches on and an area around the box insode the room comes to life with moving pictures. Moving pictures to which you can walk around them and see them from 360 degree angles...

Do you think we will ever have this?

Do you ever envisage having something resembling what was depicted in the old cult film Brainstorm whereby you can feel what is happening with regards to images beamed into your brain....

Old 01-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
Vassago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott-atkinson View Post

I envisage, a small box situated in the middle of the room in the floor, the box switches on and an area around the box insode the room comes to life with moving pictures. Moving pictures to which you can walk around them and see them from 360 degree angles...

Do you think we will ever have this?

Do you ever envisage having something resembling what was depicted in the old cult film Brainstorm whereby you can feel what is happening with regards to images beamed into your brain....
I think we definitely will. Another thing to check out is World Of Glass on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cf7IL_eZ38
Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
scott-atkinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassago View Post
I think we definitely will. Another thing to check out is World Of Glass on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cf7IL_eZ38
Wow, I'm impressed... is this real or just a vision of what could be capable?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
Brianwarnock
Retired

Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light Brianwarnock is a glorious beacon of light

I agree that 3D will only succeed if it becomes glasses free, but other than that only a person with no imagination would rule out anything given the vast change in technology over the last decade, older guys like me would never have dreamed , as we watched our 14 inch black and white sets , that we could play games on a 40 inch plus skinny TVby waving our arms about.

Brian

I do not have Access these days 2015
Brianwarnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #11
Vassago
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott-atkinson View Post
Wow, I'm impressed... is this real or just a vision of what could be capable?
It's a vision of what they would like to accomplish. Not too many people know much about the company Corning, but they do love their smartphones, especially the phones with Gorilla Glass, Corning's product. They've teamed up with Samsung to work on prototypes of a lot of this technology. I can't wait to see the stuff they come out with.

There is also a second video:

http://www.corning.com/news_center/f...able_tool.aspx

Last edited by Vassago; 01-31-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:25 AM   #12
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,395 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

4D

Nobody knows what it really means but that never stopped marketing strategies before.
Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:44 AM   #13
Some
Newly Registered User

Some is on a distinguished road

Tricky question really, how "real" can something seem without it acutally being infront of you.

4k tvs will be the next thing since 3-d was a flop in homes. Though alot of people bought tvs with 3-d in they didnt use it enough to go out and buy 3-d blurays etc.

Be warned though, if you are considering spending ~1000+ on a brand new tv with 4k (which I highly recomend) wait until about a year from now. Some marketing document was leaked by a retail outlet showing the predicted price points which showed a massive drop after the first year. Will also give the services available the chance to catch up to the technology.

Edit:

Just for reference 4k tvs are classed as UHD (ultra high defintion) so-

UHD = 4k
Full HD = 1080p
HD ready = 720p
Some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:45 AM   #14
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,395 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

I found 3D was hopeless. What I saw looked more like flat figures at different distances than true three dimensional imaging.

Moreover the viewer has to stick with the assigned focal depth. Images at other distances are shown out of focus to simulate what you see naturally. Consequently you can't look around the scene.
Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #15
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,578 Times in 3,456 Posts
CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I remember many years (perhaps 30) ago a system being demonstrated that had been developed by the Russians using multiple lasers. The demo was a bit of ballet. It appeared on a flat plate maybe 2 ft square in the middle of the room.

The lasers scanned at a high rate and where they intersected they created a point of light - a 3d located pixel if you like - which combined to make up the performers.

There were two problems, images could only be generated in black & white and the images created were translucent, so a long way from being a viable product for entertainment - but it was many years ago.

Quote:
With the increasing ability of science to 'read' the mind, is it beyond the possibility that we may get TV 'beamed' direct to the brain?
If you want to see a possible future of bionics and many other possible applications for science, check out a SciFi author called Peter Hamilton, the science he uses is based on where current thinking might take us in the not to distant future and the next millenium.

CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: