Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > Access World News

Old 02-02-2017, 01:56 AM   #1
Jon
Access World Site Owner

Thanked 1,726 Times in 53 Posts
Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future
Website rankings lost

Following my hosts upgrade of this server, I have now found out that they messed up the DNS settings. Consequently, Google could not find this site for 7 days and we are down to about 30% of previous traffic levels. I am not happy. They denied it was their fault, but its strange since it changes one day after they upgrade their server for the first time in years. They claimed it was to do with my domain registrar. After I said it was not the case, they came back and said they fixed it. No apology, nothing.

So, at least now Google can find the site again. I keeping my fingers crossed that we don't get a long term penalty here for the outage.

I just hope we can restore this site to its previous position as the top Access forum destination on the internet.

Rant over.

Jon
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:56 AM   #2
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,128 Times in 1,104 Posts
Minty will become famous soon enough Minty will become famous soon enough
Re: Website rankings lost

If we keep searching on google and selecting the site based on our searches I guess this will help? Or is it bit like pushing water up hill...

(Please use the scales on the left if we have helped!) Mark threads as Solved once you have an answer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:07 AM   #3
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

Looks like it's going to take some work - I just ran a few basic searches for common MS Access issues and for the most part didn't see AWF results until the third page.

I can say that the instant the server upgrade happened, I found myself completely unable to access the site from home until I manually changed DNS servers.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them." -Galileo Galilei
Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:08 AM   #4
The_Doc_Man
AWF VIP

The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all The_Doc_Man is a name known to all

I'm not sure why, but I never had a big problem. I'm using the BellSouth.Net DNS (whatever they use) and Firefox. Now, I recall that once or twice, it claimed it could not find the server, but in each case, on clicking the "Favorites" the second time, it worked immediately. So that COULD have been a search timing out and having to work with secondary Name Service sources.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:17 AM   #5
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

It went on from the time the site was updated until Sunday, when I finally switched to a designated DNS rather than the one Comcast uses. Reloading, clicking on favorites, clearing my cache, etc didn't do a thing from the time the changes went live until I did that on Sunday.

Even Google's public DNS at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 didn't help; they insist that the AWF links no longer resolve. Same with 2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844 for the IPv6 version.

This also appeared regardless of browser. And it was limited to this single site.

I'm pretty sure that whatever the issue was, it was NOT a simple random timeout. As Jon said in his original post, it absolutely had to be an issue with Google and its DNS settings.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them." -Galileo Galilei
Old 02-03-2017, 02:05 AM   #6
Jon
Access World Site Owner

Thanked 1,726 Times in 53 Posts
Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future

Quick update: looks like Google is starting to crawl the site again. Traffic is up, concurrent users are up. Not quite at pre-upgrade levels but I feel optimistic things should get back to normal. I feel like I have aged about 50 years recently!

Jon
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:58 AM   #7
Sofiella
Newly Registered User

Sofiella is on a distinguished road

From what i know.. Google is continuously changing search algorithms. Many websites lost good amount of traffic. You should Google Webmasters to see if there is any problem with your site. You should check for penalties and mobile usability. You can always reverse by undoing what you did on your website.

Sofiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:23 PM   #8
daniel.smith.10
Newly Registered User

daniel.smith.10 is on a distinguished road

Maybe it is because of Google algorithm update
daniel.smith.10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:16 AM   #9
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Both of you should, perhaps, actually read the thread. The issue happened because the site's host upgraded their servers and screwed up their own DNS settings in the process, causing the site (which normally dominates Access-related Google searches) to vanish from Google results entirely.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:14 AM   #10
RHarron
Newly Registered User

RHarron is on a distinguished road

If you want Google to crawl and index your site quickly in future sign up to Google Search Console and submit your site there
RHarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:01 AM   #11
cigarprofiler
Newly Registered User

cigarprofiler is on a distinguished road

For what it's worth, this site will always dominate the search results for me because I have bookmarked it. As an Access/VBA noob, I found this site the best by far (like lightyears) in terms of clarity and helpfulness.

I'm a firm believer that content is still king on the internet and this site will soon be up there in the search results.

Thanks to everyone who devotes their time to this forum!
cigarprofiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:04 AM   #12
Gasman
Access newbie

Gasman will become famous soon enough

Already there is you Google 'access forums'

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: