Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Queries

Old 06-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #16
mike60smart
Newly Registered User

mike60smart will become famous soon enough
Re: data entry through the form

Hi

We would have to see your actual Relationship Diagram for your Students database in order to make any suggestions.

mike60smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #17
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,454 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

What mike60smart was trying to tell you is this: Once you have data stored in a table, you do not need it in another table. You can use a query that would manipulate and filter and reformat and compute as needed. Storing the same data in two tables is not only wasteful of space but runs a SERIOUS risk of data between the two tables getting out of alignment or desynchronized.

You want this in another table for reports - but Access reports work PERFECTLY well using queries as their basis.

What you SEEM to be asking is that you want to use Access like a spreadsheet. Which it is not. Copying from table a to table b and using letters as field names makes me believe you are trying to adapt a spreadsheet that has become too difficult to manage. But there is more to Access conversions than just moving data to another table. This might not be the answer you wanted to hear but it IS the truth.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #18
AccessLastHope
Newly Registered User

AccessLastHope is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
What mike60smart was trying to tell you is this: Once you have data stored in a table, you do not need it in another table. You can use a query that would manipulate and filter and reformat and compute as needed. Storing the same data in two tables is not only wasteful of space but runs a SERIOUS risk of data between the two tables getting out of alignment or desynchronized.

You want this in another table for reports - but Access reports work PERFECTLY well using queries as their basis.

What you SEEM to be asking is that you want to use Access like a spreadsheet. Which it is not. Copying from table a to table b and using letters as field names makes me believe you are trying to adapt a spreadsheet that has become too difficult to manage. But there is more to Access conversions than just moving data to another table. This might not be the answer you wanted to hear but it IS the truth.
thanks for the explanation

AccessLastHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:31 AM   #19
AccessLastHope
Newly Registered User

Quote:

The purpose of this accumulation is to create a reference book, and everyday / weekly / monthly informing students / teachers about their progress, etc., Iím just not worried about the full functionality of the reports, could you share some useful articles about them?but I need pre-configured real-time requests

Last edited by AccessLastHope; 06-12-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #20
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,454 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

I don't understand the question: "I need pre-configured real-time requests"

As to articles, you can Google-search (or pick your other favorite web crawler) for:

Database Normalization
ACCESS Action Queries (more specifically, INSERT INTO)

Mike's reluctance to answer - and mine - is that without some better knowledge of your data layout we are likely to give you very bad advice. I am not clear on that layout and from his answers, I would say Mike is confused, too.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #21
MajP
Newly Registered User

MajP will become famous soon enough MajP will become famous soon enough

Code:
SELECT 
 tblA.D, 
 Sum(tblA.S) AS SumOfS
FROM 
 tblA
GROUP BY 
 tblA.D;
Yields
Code:
D	SumOfS
1	14
2	12
3	781
4	150
5	30
MajP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:31 PM   #22
AccessLastHope
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajP View Post
Code:
SELECT 
 tblA.D, 
 Sum(tblA.S) AS SumOfS
FROM 
 tblA
GROUP BY 
 tblA.D;
Yields
Code:
D	SumOfS
1	14
2	12
3	781
4	150
5	30
Thanks, but I had the same request. I meant how to get data from it and put data from it with each new record in another table. it is necessary so that, for example, when we issue a train ticket, we could not issue the same ticket again

Old 06-12-2019, 08:33 PM   #23
AccessLastHope
Newly Registered User

Quote:
I don't understand the question: "I need pre-configured real-time requests"

As to articles, you can Google-search (or pick your other favorite web crawler) for:

Database Normalization
ACCESS Action Queries (more specifically, INSERT INTO)

Mike's reluctance to answer - and mine - is that without some better knowledge of your data layout we are likely to give you very bad advice. I am not clear on that layout and from his answers, I would say Mike is confused, too.
You see, it is better to give something bad but working, than a beautiful but don`t working

Last edited by AccessLastHope; 06-24-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:08 AM   #24
AccessLastHope
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajP View Post
Code:
SELECT 
 tblA.D, 
 Sum(tblA.S) AS SumOfS
FROM 
 tblA
GROUP BY 
 tblA.D;
Yields
Code:
D	SumOfS
1	14
2	12
3	781
4	150
5	30
can you tell how to display the value of the field D of table A by pressing Enter?

Last edited by AccessLastHope; 06-23-2019 at 10:20 PM.

Tags
form , queries

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: