Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > The Watercooler

Old 06-17-2019, 11:48 PM   #1
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo
How many genders are there?

https://archbishopcranmer.com/teache...are-two-sexes/

I'm confused, I'm pretty sure there are only 2 genders as well! Is this just a misunderstanding on the use of the term gender?

from watching Dr Jordan b Peterson I do understand there are around 70 different pronouns people can use to describe their sexual orientation.

There's zee & zer and god knows how many other ones!

I also realise why the gender issue has promoted this video into to light, however I do think that the fundamental problem is the disagreement between the student and the teacher, in that the student is being pigheaded and disruptive in class, and that's the basic reason for the exclusion.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

-------------oOo---U---oOo-------------
|                                     |
|      Uncle Gizmo              |
| Get $20 worth of "Nifty Code"       |
|      
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| | Ooo | |_________________ooO____( )________| ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)
Uncle Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:54 AM   #2
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,560 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold
Re: How many genders are there?

First, Uncle G, I agree that part of the problem in the article is a disruptive student.

There are fundamentalist groups that would say that there are only two sexes. They will adapt their language if you point out to them that these days, due to multiple meanings of the word sex, we use gender (just as the word "gay" no longer can be used to mean "happy and light-hearted" because it has been adapted for other use).

Where the problem comes in is that gender (in the physiological sense) and gender identity are distinct and can differ. Further, there are cases where children are born with variant chromosome situations or reproductive structures where there is a lack of clarity as to which way the child will go. And it appears that the brain can have more than just two different configurations, which makes one wonder about various brain-body combinations.

regarding physical brain differences including structural differences:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/111663.php

https://www.newscientist.com/article...-opposite-sex/

https://www.newscientist.com/article...homosexuality/

Regarding XXY:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klinefelter_syndrome

You can search for Klinefelter Syndrome and see behavioral issues as well as physical ones.

The old term "hermaphrodite" comes to mind here. It is a non-scientific term that is yet another physical condition clouding the picture of sexual variation.

http://www.isna.org/faq/what_is_intersex

How many genders are there? The fact is that two genders are not enough even when you limit yourself to physiology since there IS such a thing as the brain and the body being in disagreement. When the wiring and the plumbing disagree, you have either a homosexual or a bisexual. When that happens, the language requires either some special word (usually taken as a pejorative) or you have to use a descriptive phrase. Therefore I cannot tell you how many genders there really are, but there exists a spectrum of behaviors for which the extremes of the spectrum are "traditional male" and "traditional female."

The articles I posted regarding brain structure represent findings using brain scans on homosexual people. The fact that the brain scans can detect the situation very strongly suggests something else: Brain structure is fixed during gestation; therefore, homosexuals are born that way. (Do I hear Lady Gaga singing in the background?)
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Doc_Man For This Useful Post:
Galaxiom (06-18-2019), Uncle Gizmo (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 08:49 AM   #3
Vassago
Administrator

Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about

Sexuality, genetic chromosomes, and gender and not the same thing and are not mutually exclusive.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,560 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

That non-exclusive nature is exactly what makes this question so hard to answer.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #5
Micron
AWF VIP

Micron has a spectacular aura about Micron has a spectacular aura about

Your question implies that the concept of gender is somehow exclusive to the human race, which I would offer is not the case. There are several examples of life that are neither one or the other, or are both at the same time.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough Mark_ will become famous soon enough

Just to confuse things, Complete androgen insensitivity syndrome means that your can have a normal XY pair but be female in all other respects.
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:28 AM   #7
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy

Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo

Well, I don't really know what to think. However my instinct is that there are two genders, and that's how I see people.

When I see a transgender person often a man posing as a woman, then most of the time I see an unfortunate person who needs my sympathy and understanding.

Occasionally I actually see a woman. For example, in the latest series of designated survivor there is a transgender man, who is now the sister-in-law of the president. Now to me this person is no longer male, and has successfully transformed into a female. She also played a character in "sense8"....

I don't seem to have the same problem with women that transgender into a man. They are oftenso manly and male looking that I would never know that they were once female.

My take on it is there are a few that are genuinely stuck in the wrong gender type for whatever biological reason, however I am convinced that there are many that are confused and vulnerable.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

-------------oOo---U---oOo-------------
|      Uncle Gizmo              |
| Get $20 worth of "Nifty Code"       |
|      
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| | Ooo | |_________________ooO____( )________| ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)
Uncle Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:45 AM   #8
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,416 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Gizmo View Post
Well, I don't really know what to think. However my instinct is that there are two genders, and that's how I see people.
Instincts often lead to mistaken conclusions.

Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: