Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Politics & Current Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2006, 11:11 AM   #31
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLWORLDCHAMP!
Right on the mark!!!

...like I posted before, these guys should write their own history book, naturally called, "HISTORY FOR DUMMIES!"
NO! American history for dummies

Old 10-04-2006, 11:18 AM   #32
GMLWORLDCHAMP!
GMLWorldChamp!

GMLWORLDCHAMP! is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Back to the thread...

Having worked in the Denver School system for over ten years, I saw a fair share of security issues that the District has done an outstanding job in addressing but in these cases, there is nothing you can do to prevent these terrible things.

PEOPLE, notice to some (not Americans, not French, not English, not white, not green, or whatever...), again, PEOPLE who seek to do these kinds of things are simply going to do whatever they think is necessary to carry them out and we all find out why, later.

So as far as I'm concerned, especially in these kind of places, searches, proper ID and whatever harrassment that may follow as long as it is done with respect for the safety of kids is all permissible because that's one of the only ways we can try to prevent this from happening again.

And these events have little or nothing to do with the particular school's area, religious affiliations, or whatever, it's people, plain and simple. It's an opportunity, for whatever reason, for that person or people to show their aggression, guilt in some other part of their life, criminal nature, etc..

There is the moral majority over here trying to do well, support people, work hard, etc just like there is the moral majority any place else trying to do the same and the struggle is when psycho's like this idiot in PA walk into one of our schools and decide to take lives.

So, we, collectively, are always on the alert to increase the safety of our kids while still trying to balance learning and the kind of atmosphere kids can learn in and not turn their school into some kind of locked down watch tower or a prison.

If this guy hadn't taken his own life, he would naturally have been a candidate, a perfect one, for the Death Penalty and why not? - What the hell good would this guy do or offer, even after being "sorry" for ten years or so while on parole...no point...I'm glad he's already dead!

If I lost my daughter that day, I'd grab this sick bastard and shoot him again myself!!!

Amish, not the point...everyone has a right to live how they choose. It's the individual psycho's that we all must deal with.

No blanket throwing allowed here!
GMLWORLDCHAMP! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:21 AM   #33
GMLWORLDCHAMP!
GMLWorldChamp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
NO! American history for dummies
Actually, we do have a version of this text, authored by the U.S. founders, mainly England, Ireland, Italy, France, and Germany,...!#>$>>!$#

Old 10-04-2006, 11:28 AM   #34
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraj
I would imagine the logistics alone of keeping guns off an island is much simpler and easier than it is for a country 100 times that island's size that also shares a practically open border with a country that is happy to host just about anything for smuggling. .
Canada seems to manage quite well

Quote:
Furthermore, attempts to control guns within the U.S. have showed no sign of actually doing anything to improve the crime rate. For example, Chicago city ordinances basically bans guns. You cannot legally purchase or register a handgun or assault weapon in Chicago. Period. Yes, that is pretty much a blatant violation of the Second Ammendment. And what is the result? Chicago has the highest homicide rates in the country; gun violence is worse here than any other part of the country.
That's because you won't act as a united country on this, New York faces the same problem, despite trying to control gun ownership the are simply brought in from the next state

Quote:
So, relic or not if we're going to ammend the Constitution and remove civil liberties,
What about the poor kids that have just lost their lives to the gun and all the others over the years, Don't they have any civil liberties or a right to protection in your constitution?

And Americans should be aware by now, we've posted the facts often enough, guns are not banned here per se, just hand guns, we just have strict control over other guns
Old 10-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #35
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLWORLDCHAMP!
Actually, we do have a version of this text, authored by the U.S. founders,
You mean Americans
Old 10-04-2006, 11:36 AM   #36
Matty
...the Myth Buster

Matty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Canada seems to manage quite well
Hate to break it to ya Rich, but we have guns in Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/dawson-college/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:40 AM   #37
GMLWORLDCHAMP!
GMLWorldChamp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty

Trust me Matty when I say, Rich has his own book of historical facts that he references so arguing with him won't do any good...trust me!

Old 10-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #38
Rich

Quote:

I'm aware of that incident, however it's a rare event in Canada, not a regular one as in the States and I'm sure it's not written into Canadian law that any idiot can own guns
Old 10-04-2006, 11:52 AM   #39
Matty
...the Myth Buster

Trust me, there are plenty of idiot Canadians that own guns.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:56 AM   #40
Rich

Quote:
Trust me, there are plenty of idiot Canadians that own guns.
Maybe but they don't go on a regular killing spree in your schools though, do they?
Old 10-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #41
Matty
...the Myth Buster

Maybe not schools, but it's not like Canada is immune to gun crimes.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:10 PM   #42
Rich

Quote:
but it's not like Canada is immune to gun crimes.
Sadly neither is the UK, however we do attempt to control it instead of hiding behind some outdated scrap of nonsense
Old 10-04-2006, 12:14 PM   #43
Mile-O
Back once again...

Mile-O will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraj
Hmmm... well to be fair SJ wasn't explicit as to whether he meant everyone who fervently suports the Second Ammendment is an idiot or rather that there simlpy are a lot of idiots who do.
Sorry, I thought by saying 'a lot of' rather than 'all' was explicit enough. So no, I did not mean all Americans who support the Second Amendment were idiots. But there seem to be those who see it as 'i gots me a gun an' i ain't givin' it away, no way, sir'. I thought 'frickin' was a great phrase to use.

Matty, the UK isn't exempt from gun crimes either. We have our fair share, although such acts are usually the domain of gang warfare, whether it be small urban gangs or citywide organised crime factions. Loners and violent fantasists don't tend to factor, especially since the case of Thomas Hamilton in Dunblane which caused our gun restrictions (relevent mostly to gun clubs) to come even further under scrutiny and subsequent restriction.

From Wikipedia: Only one third of Canadian murders involve firearms compared to two thirds in the States. What's Canada doing differently?
Mile-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:20 PM   #44
jsanders
If I Only had a Brain

jsanders is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Sadly neither is the UK, however we do attempt to control it instead of hiding behind some outdated scrap of nonsense

A scrap of nonsense; that is arguably the most important and substantial document in the world.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:25 PM   #45
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanders
A scrap of nonsense; that is arguably the most important and substantial document in the world.
Well I hate to spoil your day but we have something called the Magna Carta, it's about 500 yrs older than your scrap

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: