Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Reports

Old 10-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #1
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,531 Times in 1,503 Posts
Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about
Angry Lost Specific Printer Settings

This is more of a puzzled search for an explanation than a specific request for help.

About 10 days ago, one of my internally distributed databases lost the printer settings for every report saved in it. This meant approximately 15 reports designed for a set of specific label printers all decided to simply start printing to the default (A4) printer. Initially I thought it was something I had done, as only a couple of the labels were used, so I fixed them. Then another user who had been on holiday ran an update and reported the same issue with a bunch of other customised labels reports.

I hadn't touched most of these reports for months if not a few years, but without fail they all "reset".

Luckily I have a rigorous backup regime and hadn't changed any of the reports, so simply deleted all of them in my master copy and re-imported from a older working backup.

I can't see how this would occur so "silently"? The defective reports all had the same date/time modified (5th October) but I can't tie that down to any local updates or similar activity .

Has anyone any suggestions as to a possible cause? Just so I can try and avoid the problem again. It's a particularly pain in the butt as if you don't have the named label printer attached, you can't easily recreate the correct page setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
GinaWhipp
AWF VIP

GinaWhipp has a spectacular aura about GinaWhipp has a spectacular aura about
Re: Lost Specific Printer Settings

Hmm, that seems suspect. But could it have been because of a Windows update or a Server update that happened on that day?

GinaWhipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
shadow9449
Newly Registered User

shadow9449 will become famous soon enough shadow9449 will become famous soon enough

Are you using Windows 10? There's a setting that will change the default printer when you use a specific printer. (I'm not kidding....)

The good news is that you can turn it off.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...cbff982?auth=1

shadow9449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #4
GinaWhipp
AWF VIP

WELL, that's a new one! Just another reason I still work on my Windows 7 machine and use my Windows 10 one for *play*.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
shadow9449
Newly Registered User

shadow9449 will become famous soon enough shadow9449 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaWhipp View Post
WELL, that's a new one! Just another reason I still work on my Windows 7 machine and use my Windows 10 one for *play*.
I don't blame you. My main computer is Windows 7 but I have no choice but to know how to work with the headaches people experience in Windows 10 because they freak out when their reports change to the label printer and vice versa.
shadow9449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:04 AM   #6
Minty
AWF VIP

Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the feedback.
I pretty sure that isn't the culprit, as this is a saved report option to print to a specific printer regardless of the default printer setting.

I know it normally "sticks" as when I open the correct versions on my dev machine I get the
Code:
"This document was previously formatted for the printer TinyLabel on USB002, but that printer isn't available, Do you want to use the default printer on Office-Xerox12345"
message, this is the normal behaviour.

It's prompted us to revisit how we handle the label printing and probably make users select a printer on application start up and store them locally instead. In fact I might even use a side database to make it "set and forget" for the specific machine\user.

One problem leads to a shiny new solution \ more work

Old 10-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #7
GinaWhipp
AWF VIP

Hmm, you might have to do something like...

Code:
    Dim strDefaultPrinter As String
    Dim strPrinterName As String

'get current default printer.
    strDefaultPrinter = Application.Printer.DeviceName
    strPrinterName = "Name of your printer here"

'switch to printer of your choice:
    Set Application.Printer = Application.Printers("PathToDatabase" & strPrinterName)

'Put report print stuff here

'reset defult printer (optional)
     Set Application.Printer = Application.Printers(strDefaultPrinter)

The Following User Says Thank You to GinaWhipp For This Useful Post:
Minty (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 12:54 AM   #8
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanks Gina, I'm investigating that at the moment.

I have always struggled with label printers and changing paper sizes without warning and then being a royal PITA to reset when you don't have access to the specific printer being used.

I'm going to have a mess about with setting a paper size in the report (as in set the page size to the same as the detail section) to see if it makes life easier.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:10 AM   #9
GinaWhipp
AWF VIP

Found it! I thought I saw something about paper sizes and found where I saw it. This might help...
http://www.utteraccess.com/forum/Sel...-t1982972.html

The Following User Says Thank You to GinaWhipp For This Useful Post:
Minty (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 07:29 AM   #10
Minty
AWF VIP

That looks very promising, and will save me a lot of time I suspect.
Thanks again Gina !

Old 10-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #11
GinaWhipp
AWF VIP

No problem, glad to help!

Tags
labels , page setup , printer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: