Go Back   Access World Forums > Apps and Windows > SQL Server

Old 12-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #1
amir0914
Newly Registered User

amir0914 is on a distinguished road
Access app with sql server databse

hello everyone, I'm have been working with access for 5 years and I have written many programs with vba & sql commands in access, and now I need to create database by sql server in my new program and I have to connect access form with sql server database, but I have never worked with sql server programs, and I also don't know which version of sql server I should to install, and I don't know how to use and connect it to my access forms, I'm also very interested in learning sql server. can someone give me some information,tutorial, or sample file about that?

Thanks in advanced.

amir0914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
theDBguy
Iím here to help

Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,403 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about
Re: Access app with sql server databse

Hi. Getting a sample file may be difficult because you'll need to have a SQL Server to connect it to. If you're just starting out or your project is not too big, you might be able to use SQL Server Express for now. Good thing about it is it's free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:38 PM   #3
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,083 Times in 2,801 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold
Re: Access app with sql server databse

First obtain a free copy of SQL Server Express. There are several versions. Recommend you get the SS Management Studio.
You can also download a sample sql server database called Adventure Works. Its the SS equivalent of Northwind in that its designed to show you many things that SS databases can do.

To connect Access to SS, you need to setup a file DSN (using the ODBC wizard) or DSN less connection then link the tables as you would link any Access database tables

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: