Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > The Watercooler

Old 11-30-2019, 12:35 PM   #16
ColinEssex
Old registered user

ColinEssex will become famous soon enough
Re: extremely sophisticated scamming software

It's interesting.

So what does anybody think is the answer to these scams? Or rather, what particular things trigger the scammers?

Could it be online banking, dating sites or something else?

I don't have online banking, I get money from an ATM and I get a statement printout every week to check nothing unusual has happened to our bank account, I prefer traditional methods of banking, a cash allowance per week etc.

Dating sites always seem dodgy, you can't trust these foreigners.

Col

Old 11-30-2019, 12:50 PM   #17
vba_php
Software Engineer

vba_php is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinEssex View Post
So what does anybody think is the answer to these scams? Or rather, what particular things trigger the scammers?
there are none. I once talked to the attorney general of the united states about automated calls i was getting regarding paying back / consolidating my student loans payments. I was getting about 2-5 calls a day. and at the time i started getting those calls (and ever since then), my loans have not existed in any database system run by the us government student loan org's or any of their affiliates. the attorney general told me it's impossible to stop them for 2 reasons:

1) as soon as they shut one down, another one pops up again and they don't have the manpower to spend 24/7 chasing them down.
2) they buy a "one time use" allowance for phone numbers that they use to call from, and they buy them from many different organizations in the country and usually don't purchase the same number again. that's why most of the time you call them back, the number is disconnected.

she told me the best thing I can do is block the spam numbers one by one and eventually the number of spam calls I get per week will drop cuz the spammers can only cycle thru so many numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinEssex View Post
Dating sites always seem dodgy
I was also on eharmony 12 years ago and I talked to plenty of legitimate women but only went on 1 date with a girl from a nearby town. and I don't think back I got 1 email about a match termination notice in the 3 months I had the subscription. As the world's population increases, so will the number of scams. and I'm sure they will become much more sophisticated in terms of how they exploit your vulnerabilities, as well as the software they use in the process, which was certainly the case for me.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:24 PM   #18
ColinEssex
Old registered user

ColinEssex will become famous soon enough

Ever since the 1990's when computers were becoming more popular, and being a programmer, I thought it was easy to hack into things. I never use our current account to do anything online.

I always use a credit card, in the UK, you are protected if anything untoward happens. eBay, PayPal and any purchases are made with credit card. I buy and sell guitars on eBay and feel confident (so far) that I am doing the best to protect our finances.

Dating sites and gambling sites look suspect to me, fortunately they have no interest to me.

I think you are right, nothing really can stop it.

Funny thing, I had a cold call recently from an Indian girl about a "recent car accident" I had. (I never had one) But I played along by saying "oh yes, the bus was a write off, but the donkey was not injured fortunately, not the same for the duck though" etc etc along those lines. She stuck to her script but gave up when I said the bus company paid 10,000 compensation to the ducks family.

Odd that I don't get cold calls any more.

Col

vba_php (11-30-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 07:30 PM   #19
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,710 Times in 1,583 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Now there, Col, we are alike. I once put on the affect of an evangelical preacher who wanted to save the soul of the scammer and put repentance in his heart. But you know what? That good-for-nothing, unrepentant bastard hung up on me.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:26 PM   #20
vba_php
Software Engineer

I forgot to tell you guys something else that the managing agent asked me when I was transferred to him. When he asked me if I had a checking account and I said yes, he follows up with: "now do you have any money in any other banks?"
Old 12-02-2019, 08:51 AM   #21
scott-atkinson
I'm with the Witch.......

scott-atkinson will become famous soon enough

The scammers on Dating sites are not the people on the other end as portrayed by their date site pictures, they scour the Net, usually Facebook, Instagram and steal pictures of pretty girls, they then make fake profiles and start phishing on the Dating Sites..

If they get busted and banned, they simply use another IP address and start the whole process again...

Why do scammers do it? Simple... If they make 100 scam attempts and 99 fail, the one that's a success will benerate enough cash to easily offset the 99 failures... If there was no money in it, they would'nt do it...
Old 12-02-2019, 05:34 PM   #22
vba_php
Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott-atkinson View Post
steal pictures of pretty girls, they then make fake profiles and start phishing on the Dating Sites..
according to the fbi, the scammers that steal those types of pictures and pose as those beautiful women are both male and female.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:03 AM   #23
scott-atkinson
I'm with the Witch.......

scott-atkinson will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vba_php View Post
according to the fbi, the scammers that steal those types of pictures and pose as those beautiful women are both male and female.
Indeed they are, and probably not even 1 person, but a much larger syndicate or people all doing the same thing.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:33 AM   #24
vba_php
Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott-atkinson View Post
Indeed they are, and probably not even 1 person, but a much larger syndicate or people all doing the same thing.
do you know if Anonymous is still operating?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: