Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Tables

Old 06-05-2019, 11:21 AM   #1
RogerCooper
Newly Registered User

RogerCooper is on a distinguished road
Unable to add attachments in linked table

I have found that I can add attachments in the attachment field only if it is native table of the database, but I can't if it is a linked table. Is this a feature of Access or is there a way of doing it?

I can always have the users work with the database containing the table, but it would be easier if there was a linked table.

RogerCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
theDBguy
Iím here to help

theDBguy will become famous soon enough theDBguy will become famous soon enough
Re: Unable to add attachments in linked table

Hi. Without testing it, I am not sure this is correct. How exactly were you attaching the files to the linked table?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:45 PM   #3
Micron
Newly Registered User

Micron will become famous soon enough Micron will become famous soon enough

you are aware that attachments in Access tables can cause you to quickly reach the db size limit? Often the better method is to store the attachment file path in a table and just let the user call it from some user action such as a button click. The file or folder picker is all that's needed to store/retrieve files and store the path.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
June7
Newly Registered User

June7 will become famous soon enough June7 will become famous soon enough

It is definitely possible. Not a problem for me.
June7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:43 PM   #5
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough Mark_ will become famous soon enough

Roger,

I'll second Micron's post. Also allows you to manipulate the attachment with the program it is intended to work with. Means you can have a word document, open it in word, and allow your end users to update if needed.
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
RogerCooper
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micron View Post
you are aware that attachments in Access tables can cause you to quickly reach the db size limit? Often the better method is to store the attachment file path in a table and just let the user call it from some user action such as a button click. The file or folder picker is all that's needed to store/retrieve files and store the path.
The attachments are image files that need to be included printed documents that are sent with shipments. It works, except for the annoyance that you need to edit attachments in the original database.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #7
Micron
Newly Registered User

Micron will become famous soon enough Micron will become famous soon enough

If the documents are Access reports, you still don't need to store the images. As noted, works for someone else as a linked table, but I can only comment with respect to my belief that the practice is to be avoided if at all possible, so I cannot offer a solution. Sorry.

Micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:36 AM   #8
RogerCooper
Newly Registered User

The documents aren't Access reports, they are image files. They need to be printed automatically, not by a user sitting there and selecting them manually. And how I can trust that files external to my database will be there when needed.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:20 AM   #9
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,456 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
And how I can trust that files external to my database will be there when needed.
Roger, let me ask this question in response. Do you have an environment where you cannot trust people to not screw around with files that aren't supposed to be theirs?

The way most of us do this is that we set up a folder for the shared back-end database. Then with the back-end file in place, we create a child folder with an appropriate name. We read the contents of the .Connect string on a back-end-resident table, which gives us the device:/path/name.type sequence, and we can trim out the name.type part, tack on the sub-folder name to the device:/path/ string, and build a proper fully qualified file spec for whatever we are about to put into that folder - like one of your images. When storing that image for the first time, we also store the spec as a string. The difference is that images take dozens of KB but a file spec rarely takes more than 128 bytes unless you have some really abominable file or folder naming conventions.

When we want to display an image associated with a record, we load the spec to the property .Image in the appropriate image control using VBA in the appropriate section of the report that contains the other stuff we needed to see. You don't ever let users see that level of interaction, though. You hide everything behind forms so that nobody gets to "look inside the box" of your app.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:53 AM   #10
theDBguy
Iím here to help

theDBguy will become famous soon enough theDBguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerCooper View Post
The attachments are image files that need to be included printed documents that are sent with shipments. It works, except for the annoyance that you need to edit attachments in the original database.
Hi Roger. As June already said, this should not be a problem, and I think he's right. You should be able to edit attachments in linked tables.

|
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
attachment field , linked table

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: