Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Politics & Current Events

 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2019, 06:58 PM   #331
Galaxiom
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 11,547
Thanks: 88
Thanked 1,473 Times in 1,390 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold
Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doc_Man View Post
You say "Put up or shut up" but then if someone puts up, you put down.
You mean like the things you put up that were shot down with facts yet you refuse to acknowledge you were simply repeating the rubbish you had uncritically swallowed?

One that immediately springs to mind is your claim that human ancestors evolved with carbon dioxide levels higher than they are today. You simply ignored the fact that you were completely and utterly wrong.

Galaxiom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:12 PM   #332
Galaxiom
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 11,547
Thanks: 88
Thanked 1,473 Times in 1,390 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold
Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Gizmo View Post
I just can't understand how anyone can suspect that of creating such a major effect on the climate.
You demonstrate your lack of comprehension of scale. In absolute terms it isn't "such a major effect". It is only large in biological terms.

The one degree Celsius increase in global temperature so far measured is only about a 0.3 percent change in global temperature.

The problem is that you do not understand the science and prefer to go with your deeply mistaken intuition.

Quote:
It's clear to me that even a minute increase in the percentage of water vapour, say an increase of 10 percent water vapour, this would have a significant impact on global warming, because there's so much of it.
Further evidence you you lack of understanding of scale. A ten percent increase in water vapour is far from minute. Have you any idea how much difference that would make to temperature? The planet would be uninhabitable.

The water vapour content in the atmosphere is self regulating for a given temperature. Increase that temperature through another mechanism such as a 25 percent increase in CO2 and there will be a change in water vapour leading to a multiplication of the effect.

Similarly the release of ancient methane as permafrost melts and methane hydrates in the ocean are released with temperature rise.
Galaxiom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:04 AM   #333
AccessBlaster
.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,068
Thanks: 23
Thanked 264 Times in 251 Posts
AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about
Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

https://fee.org/articles/discussion-versus-debate/
Quote:
The goal of debate. Simply stated, the object of any true debate is to win; to achieve victory for your side and inflict defeat on the other. Debate is a zero-sum game: In order for you to win, your opponent has to lose. Debate has that in common with war. As a result, debate is deeply anti-intellectual.
Quote:
Likewise, a good debater, because the object of debate is victory by any means short of violence, will zero in on her opponent’s weakest argument, his most outrageous comment or slip of the tongue, and make it the centerpiece of a relentless attack in the hopes of hammering him to submission or making him look ridiculous in the eyes of any spectators. She will twist subtle argument into absurdity. Ad hominem, the straw man, and name-calling may be logical fallacies, but they’re all part of the debater’s arsenal, as are distraction and attributing false statements to an opponent. The goal is not truth-seeking, the goal is to win. At the same time, she will conceal the flaws in her own argument and make her position appear stronger than it really is. Anyone who doesn’t do such things is a bad debater.
Quote:
A good discussion reveals the weaknesses of your argument, to yourself and to the other discussant. To correct an error you first have to be made aware of it and second to admit it. But to make yourself vulnerable by such an admission requires trusting that your challenger won’t hammer you over the head with it. As discourse turns to debate, that kind of trust vanishes
Do not try and have a rational discussion with a "master debater" you will always lose.

AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AccessBlaster For This Useful Post:
The_Doc_Man (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #334
NauticalGent
Pristine Curmudgeon
Gold Supporter
 
NauticalGent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Naples, Italy (EXPAT from Virginia)
Posts: 1,779
Thanks: 386
Thanked 240 Times in 210 Posts
NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about
Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

Leave it to AB to introduce masterbation into the conversation...
__________________
“I had the RIGHT to remain silent...but I didn’t have the ABILITY.” - Ron White
NauticalGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:29 AM   #335
AccessBlaster
.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,068
Thanks: 23
Thanked 264 Times in 251 Posts
AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about AccessBlaster has a spectacular aura about
Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

Quote:
Originally Posted by NauticalGent View Post
Leave it to AB to introduce masterbation into the conversation...
All kidding aside, Galaxiom has great debate skills. He effectively shuts down the "conversation" with good debate tactics. Trying to have a conversation about climate change with Galaxiom is like bringing a knife to a gun fight, you will lose.
AccessBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:01 PM   #336
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy
 
Uncle Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Newbury Berks UK
Posts: 10,089
Thanks: 476
Thanked 893 Times in 848 Posts
Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo
Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

This woman seems credible, intelligent and well informed. https://youtu.be/m3hHi4sylxE?t=215
__________________
Code:
                 |||||
               @(~Ō^Ō~)@
-------------oOo---U---oOo-------------
|                                     |
|      Uncle Gizmo              |
|                                     |
|                                     |
| Get $20 worth of "Nifty Code"       |
|      
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| | Ooo | |_________________ooO____( )________| ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)
Uncle Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:26 AM   #337
Galaxiom
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 11,547
Thanks: 88
Thanked 1,473 Times in 1,390 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold
Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Gizmo View Post
This woman seems credible, intelligent and well informed. https://youtu.be/m3hHi4sylxE?t=215
You find these videos because they are what you are looking for and you do not seek out the actual science at all. Then you fail to apply any critical analysis to the claims.

"Climategate" was beatup that didn't change any of the facts.

You attribute those qualities to her because her opinions match your confirmation bias. The reality is her opinion is a minority one. She has a populist blog and knows what brings in more readers and makes her more money.

Try reading about the actual state of the science.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scient...climate_change

Galaxiom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:29 AM   #338
Galaxiom
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 11,547
Thanks: 88
Thanked 1,473 Times in 1,390 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold
Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

Now let's see what Curry actually says in the video.

"Scientists agree that ... temperatures are increasing."
and
"Carbon dioxide does act to warm the planet."

As a highly qualified atmospheric scientist she does not doubt that Climate Change caused by anthropogenic carbon emissions is real.

Her argument is
"There is no agreement as to whether warming is dangerous or not."

So she isn't worried about coastal flooding, extreme weather events, changes in distribution of precipitation and loss of viable agricultural land. Quite odd really.
Galaxiom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:48 AM   #339
Galaxiom
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 11,547
Thanks: 88
Thanked 1,473 Times in 1,390 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold
Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

And now to Stossell who is an outspoken Libertarian. That is a political stance against all forms of regulation and basically advocating a free for all. Doing anything about the environment is antithetical to his politics.

In 2014 he falsely claimed there was no good evidence that second hand smoke kills people as part of a fight to stop regulations against allowing smokers being free to pollute the air breathed by others. The man is a complete jerk.

He opposed the ban on DDT, and well known and very dangerous cumulative poison that never breaks down. Basically he has religious beliefs about Libertarianism that are contrary to common sense and will lie and misrepresent facts without the slightest compunction.

He misrepresents people. Even in the interview with Curry we don't see his face when the audio says "You used to agree with the scaremongers." I have no doubt that was dubbed over the heavily edited video designed to emphasise his own biases.

Anyone who accepts anything produced by Stossell has not applied any critical thought.
Galaxiom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:52 PM   #340
NauticalGent
Pristine Curmudgeon
Gold Supporter
 
NauticalGent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Naples, Italy (EXPAT from Virginia)
Posts: 1,779
Thanks: 386
Thanked 240 Times in 210 Posts
NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about
Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

This should dispel any doubts...

https://youtu.be/VOayUleNCrM
__________________
“I had the RIGHT to remain silent...but I didn’t have the ABILITY.” - Ron White
NauticalGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #341
Steve R.
Retired
 
Steve R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Morehead City, North Carolina
Posts: 1,689
Thanks: 90
Thanked 98 Times in 86 Posts
Steve R. will become famous soon enough Steve R. will become famous soon enough
Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

Well if Mars is really undergoing global warming, the global warming crowd here may need to rethink their hypotheses. Obviously Mars may present a different set of possible causes for its apparent warming. Something to ponder.

No news concerning Venus.

Red Planet Heats Up: Ice Age Ending on Mars

Scientists find evidence of global warming on Mars
__________________
Now using Linux (Ubuntu).
Doing database development with Firefox/MariaDB.

Last edited by Steve R.; 06-20-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Steve R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:30 PM   #342
isladogs
Part time moderator
 
isladogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Somerset, UK
Posts: 9,443
Thanks: 106
Thanked 2,533 Times in 2,326 Posts
isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all
Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

Neither of the links in the previous post seem to be working.
The first isn't a URL. The second just doesn't load
__________________
If this answer has helped, please click the Thanks button and/or click the 'reputation scales' symbol on the left.

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #343
Steve R.
Retired
 
Steve R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Morehead City, North Carolina
Posts: 1,689
Thanks: 90
Thanked 98 Times in 86 Posts
Steve R. will become famous soon enough Steve R. will become famous soon enough
Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

Quote:
Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
Neither of the links in the previous post seem to be working.
Fixed. I hope. I usually check the links before posting. Must have overlooked it this time.

Red Planet Heats Up: Ice Age Ending on Mars

Scientists find evidence of global warming on Mars
__________________
Now using Linux (Ubuntu).
Doing database development with Firefox/MariaDB.
Steve R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:55 PM   #344
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Suburban New Orleans, LA, USA
Posts: 13,947
Thanks: 80
Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,455 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold
Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

So will Al Gore publish another book for this event?
__________________
I'm a certified grandpa (3 times now) and proud of it.
Retired over one year and survived being home all day with the wife. She must really love me.
If I have helped you, please either click the thanks or click the scales.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #345
Uncle Gizmo
Nifty Access Guy
 
Uncle Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Newbury Berks UK
Posts: 10,089
Thanks: 476
Thanked 893 Times in 848 Posts
Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough Uncle Gizmo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to Uncle Gizmo
Re: NASA Study Indicates Antarctica is Gaining More Ice Than It's Losing -

I found the following two links.

The first link Here:-
Global Warming: A Chilling Perspective

Leading to the second link:-
Ice Core Studies Prove CO2 Is Not the Powerful Climate Driver Climate Alarmists Make It Out to Be
Volume 6, Number 26: 25 June 2003


In the second link:-
I draw your attention to this comment "he concluded that "changes in CO2 concentration cannot be claimed to be the cause of changes in air temperature,"

Just to reiterate my position, I am aware that the climate is getting warmer, however I find it difficult to see the minuscule increase in CO2 emissions is the culprit.

Mind you it is definitely dangerous for the CO2 emissions to continue rising because they will eventually reach a level where CO2 is poisonous to humans!

In the interim, there is a good argument that an increase in CO2 levels will actually be beneficial.

__________________
Code:
                 |||||
               @(~Ō^Ō~)@
-------------oOo---U---oOo-------------
|                                     |
|      Uncle Gizmo              |
|                                     |
|                                     |
| Get $20 worth of "Nifty Code"       |
|      
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| | Ooo | |_________________ooO____( )________| ( ) ) / \ ( (_/ \_)

Last edited by Uncle Gizmo; 06-22-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Uncle Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Gizmo For This Useful Post:
The_Doc_Man (06-22-2019)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trying to model this case study into an ERD Bycrim Tables 4 04-22-2013 08:10 PM
Has NASA found (potentially) extraterrestrial life? Minkey The Watercooler 520 02-17-2011 07:40 AM
Autogenerating study ID number UCLA Lorna Forms 1 09-13-2008 11:21 AM
how to create study flashcards ijtrades Forms 0 11-09-2007 02:12 AM
gaining access to secure website via hyperlink crumpet Forms 1 06-28-2007 08:33 PM




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:23 AM.


Microsoft Access Help
General
Tables
Queries
Forms
Reports
Macros
Modules & VBA
Theory & Practice
Access FAQs
Code Repository
Sample Databases
Video Tutorials

Featured Forum post


Sponsored Links


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) copyright 2017 Access World