Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Forms

Old 06-17-2019, 10:51 AM   #1
rsingh4377
Newly Registered User

rsingh4377 is on a distinguished road
Question Form Help Please!

Hi,

I am attempting to create a form in which I can automatically receive a list of records based on my desired criteria. To further explain, say I am creating a database containing construction projects. I have about 20 characteristics which may or may not apply to each project. I want to make it easy to find which characteristics are present in each project. So say I am looking for projects which only contain characteristics such as drainage work, pavement work and sign structures. I want to be able to be able to create a form where the end user can easily find out which construction projects contain these characteristics. Please let me know if you are able to understand and answer my question or if there is need for clarification! Thank you!

Best,
Rajan

rsingh4377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #2
June7
Newly Registered User

June7 will become famous soon enough June7 will become famous soon enough
Re: Form Help Please!

Review http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html
June7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
rsingh4377
Newly Registered User

rsingh4377 is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much for your input. I am attaching a link with a demo of something that looks like what I have but much more simplified. Basically from here I am trying to create a form where I can make an input into each box and have those results display those certain characteristics. Going back to my previous example, I want to find a way for the form to display my information based on my selections so kind of a lookup form but with multiple criteria with room for such criteria to change. Thank you so much!
Attached Files
File Type: accdb Demo.accdb (448.0 KB, 12 views)

rsingh4377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough Mark_ will become famous soon enough

Quick answer would be to open your form as a Split Form and allow the users to use the built in functions. This is a one minute change that can give you a basic idea of what is already supported by ACCESS. If this isn't sufficient, then we can help with more elaborate methods.
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #5
June7
Newly Registered User

June7 will become famous soon enough June7 will become famous soon enough

Did you review the article I posted link for?
June7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:12 PM   #6
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,512 Times in 2,306 Posts
isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all isladogs is a name known to all

Your table structure is more suited to an Excel spreadsheet than an Access database. Every time a new item such as Electrical, Plastering etc is needed you have to add a new field.
Suggest you read up about normalising data in tables so as to do this more efficiently

Even with this structure, you could improve the table design by using boolean datatype for all 5 fields where you are entering yes/no values.
Also recommend that you
a) don't have spaces in field names e.g. use ProjectName, ProjectDescription
b) Name the ID field ProjectID so its more meaningful

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access , data-entry , form , forms

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: