Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Queries

Old 06-11-2019, 12:18 AM   #1
Lochwood
Newly Registered User

Lochwood is on a distinguished road
add a Percentage to a value

I am looking for the correct syntax in my query to add a percentage to a value. so i have a [Standard_Rate] in a table and i would like to have a column showing the percentage increase based on a field in a form. so if i insert 2 into the field, the query will return the value + 2%. i can manually get this by typing Expr1: Round([Standard_Rate]1.2,2) but i would like the user to enter this value into a form to see the increase.

Lochwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:46 AM   #2
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,979 Times in 2,710 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold
Re: add a Percentage to a value

I assume you mean based on a form control e.g. a textbox txtChange.
On the form, the new value would then be shown in another textbox with control source Round([Standard_Rate]*(1+0.01*Me.txtChange),2)

However you may need to manage where the user leaves txtChange blank.
If so, use Round([Standard_Rate]*(1+Nz(0.01*Me.txtChange,0),2)

In a query, use Round([Standard_Rate]*(1+Nz(0.01*Forms!YourFormName.txtChange,0),2)

Note that the above doesn't actually change the Standard Rate. To do so, use an update query

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,

Last edited by isladogs; 06-11-2019 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Corrected error in calculation
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:50 AM   #3
Lochwood
Newly Registered User

Thanks, yes it will be a form control text box and an update query so they can input the percentage in the txt box and click a button to run the update query and change the values.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:57 AM   #4
isladogs
Part time moderator

isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Ah you didn't make that clear.
In the update query use
Round([Standard_Rate]*(1+Nz(0.01*Forms!YourFormName.txtChange,0),2) in the Update To line.

NOTE I've edited my original reply to add *0.01 to each expression

Website links:

Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
Old 06-11-2019, 01:47 AM   #5
Lochwood
Newly Registered User

I am getting Syntax error comma in query expression. here is my line in the updateline of query. cant seen to see what would be wrong with this.

Round([Standard_Rate]*(1+Nz(0.01*[Forms![Rates_Templates_Mainform]![Rates_Templates].[Form]![Percentage],0),2))
Old 06-11-2019, 02:12 AM   #6
gemma-the-husky
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,027 Times in 993 Posts
gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all

I would either store the percentage in a variable, and read it with a function, or put in a tempvars.

Then your expression becomes either of these, assuming you are storing the percentage increase as a double - so 2% as 0.02. Much easier than form expressions, and more re-usable I tihnk.

standardrate * (1+increaserate() )
standardrate * (1+tempvars.increase)

if a poster helps you, please click the scales at the bottom left of this posting, or use the thanks button alongside.
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:49 AM   #7
isladogs
Part time moderator

You hadn't mentioned the control was on a subform.
Is the form/subform open when you are running the update query?
If so, is it being run from a button in the main form or from the subform itself?

If the form isn't open, you definitely need to do one of GTH's suggestions. Even if its open, its still a good idea

Website links:

Old 06-11-2019, 05:23 AM   #8
Lochwood
Newly Registered User

the control is on the subform with the button also being on the subform. i am a novice on access and GTHs last comment doesn't make make any sense to me.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:29 AM   #9
isladogs
Part time moderator

As the button is also on the subform, you shouldn't need to reference the main form. Just use the syntax I originally provided.

If it still fails, use a variable and function.

Website links:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: