Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Queries

Old 06-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #1
marseneault
Newly Registered User

marseneault is on a distinguished road
Updating a linked Table field from Short Text to Date

Hello,
I am having issues with a linked table (in excel) not formating a date field as a date field.

I have an online program that outputs all the information in One Excel Spreadsheet with Tabs. That Spreadsheet is linked to it's corresponding table in my database.
Most of the Date Types are what they need to be, however, i have one date field that comes in as Short Text, instead of date/Time. this just happens to be a field where I need to run a search query by selecting a date range for the past 7 days.

What can I do to update this field to the proper Data Type?

marseneault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #2
theDBguy
Iím here to help

theDBguy will become famous soon enough theDBguy will become famous soon enough
Re: Updating a linked Table field from Short Text to Date

If you look at the Excel sheet, are there any empty rows towards the top of the problem column?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:59 AM   #3
gemma-the-husky
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,022 Times in 988 Posts
gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all gemma-the-husky is a name known to all
Re: Updating a linked Table field from Short Text to Date

you could create a template table, and read the data into that table. If that fails, then import the data as at present, add another date field, and update the new field with the converted dates.

As TheDBGuy says, it's maybe worth inspecting the spreadsheet to understand what's going on. If dates in the table are badly formed, it will import as text

if a poster helps you, please click the scales at the bottom left of this posting, or use the thanks button alongside.
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
data type , linked excel file , update queary

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: