Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Modules & VBA

Old 01-05-2018, 03:23 AM   #16
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,009 Times in 2,736 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold
Re: MS Access Notification in Windows 10 Action centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnelgp View Post
You dont gavr MyDocuments? So ill guess next time on my future sample extract it to tmp or desktop.
Of course I do have My Documents, but I always move it to a separate drive.
This means I never lose files if for any reason drive c fails or needs reformatting (as happened to me recently).

You could of course have used code to check for the user's My Documents folder.... but using CurrentProject.Path is much simpler.

Just about to check your example in 64-bit Access

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,

"As we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know. It is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones" Donald Rumsfeld
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:29 AM   #17
Gasman
Enthusiastic Amateur

Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough

Arnelgp,

All the
Code:
Private Declare PtrSafe
in Class BalloonToolTip will not compile and are in red, despite win64 or not.?

Do I need an extra reference?

TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnelgp View Post
found a way to change the TrayIcon
separate to the Message Icon.

on the sample two icons, red and green.
it is extracted by autoexec macro (so you must
allow it to run).

you should run both sample forms.

you are not limited to just one Tray Icon.
you can have as many and you must now pass
the Form's hwnd to ShowBaloonToolTip sub.

modified the code to also run in x64.
added some more variables and sub and properties.
tested on Access 2016 x64.

see change in BalloonTooltip Class.
replaced one function there that
keeps on hanging on x64 Access.

Please, please use code tag # when posting code snippets

Gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:36 AM   #18
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

Arnel
I've just checked my modified version of your example db in Access 2016 64-bit.
Very happy to say it compiles & runs correctly,

However, I then tried replacing the class module BalloonTooltip & standard module modBalloonTooltip from my example database with your 2 modules.

I got compile errors which made it unusable.
Next I tried comparing the old modules with your new ones and modifying step by step. No luck so far in getting this to work
I see you've disabled lots of code with your own temporary code (and have commented the code where you have done so)
Unfortunately that means its no longer transferable to other databases.

Both Phil Stiefel & I have been working on generic solutions for 64-bit for some time.
All credit to you that you've got a step closer to this but I don't believe its yet working as a generic solution.

So I'm offering my original example database to you with a request that you also make this work in 64-bit.
For now I'm just using an icon in the program folder as the application icon.
I'll adopt your approach to that part later
Attached Files
File Type: zip SystemTrayAlert.zip (245.4 KB, 32 views)

Website links:

Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,

"As we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know. It is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones" Donald Rumsfeld
Old 01-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #19
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

I was just about to reply to a post by accessanitor but its just been deleted (or I'm losing the plot)
Anyway in answer to that non -existent post ....!

Code like this (similar to that used by arnel)
Code:
Environ("USERPROFILE") & "\My Documents\"
will correctly find the My Documents folder if its in the default location:
e.g. C:\Users\cridd\My Documents\

However, it fails for many users like myself who move 'special folders' like My Documents to a different location / drive
e.g. in my case D:\Colin\My Documents\

The following code does work in ALL cases for My Documents and other special folders.
It is by oharab and taken from http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1039720

Save to a standard module:

Code:
Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

' Get path of Special folders
Type ShortItemId
     cb As Long
     abID As Byte
End Type

Type ITEMIDLIST
     mkid As ShortItemId
End Type

Const CSIDL_PROGRAMS = 2                  ' Program Groups Folder
Const CSIDL_PERSONAL = 5                  ' Personal Documents Folder
 Const CSIDL_FAVORITES = 6                 ' Favorites Folder
 Const CSIDL_STARTUP = 7                   ' Startup Group Folder
 Const CSIDL_RECENT = 8                    ' Recently Used Documents Folder
 Const CSIDL_SENDTO = 9                    ' Send To Folder
 Const CSIDL_STARTMENU = 11                ' Start Menu Folder
 Const CSIDL_DESKTOPDIRECTORY = 16         ' Desktop Folder
 Const CSIDL_NETHOOD = 19                  ' Network Neighborhood Folder
 Const CSIDL_TEMPLATES = 21                ' Document Templates Folder
 Const CSIDL_COMMON_STARTMENU = 22         ' Common Start Menu Folder
 Const CSIDL_COMMON_PROGRAMS = 23          ' Common Program Groups Folder
 Const CSIDL_COMMON_STARTUP = 24           ' Common Startup Group Folder
 Const CSIDL_COMMON_DESKTOPDIRECTORY = 25  ' Common Desktop Folder
 Const CSIDL_APPDATA = 26                  ' Application Data Folder
 Const CSIDL_PRINTHOOD = 27                ' Printers Folder
 Const CSIDL_COMMON_FAVORITES = 31         ' Common Favorites Folder
 Const CSIDL_INTERNET_CACHE = 32           ' Temp. Internet Files Folder
 Const CSIDL_COOKIES = 33                  ' Cookies Folder
 Const CSIDL_HISTORY = 34                  ' History Folder

Declare Function SHGetPathFromIDList Lib "shell32.dll" _
    (ByVal pidl As Long, _
    ByVal pszPath As String) As Long

Declare Function SHGetSpecialFolderLocation Lib "shell32.dll" _
    (ByVal hwndOwner As Long, _
    ByVal nFolder As Long, _
    pidl As ITEMIDLIST) As Long

Sub ShowFolder()
    Dim lngID As Long
    Dim IDL As ITEMIDLIST

Dim strPath As String
    Dim strShortCut As String

'Fill the idl structure with the specified folder item.
    'i.e replace CSIDL_PERSONAL with another item from the above list
    lngID = SHGetSpecialFolderLocation(0, CSIDL_PERSONAL, IDL)

' Get the path from the idl list, and return
    ' the folder with a slash at the end.
    If lngID = 0 Then
        strPath = Space$(260)
        lngID = SHGetPathFromIDList(ByVal IDL.mkid.cb, ByVal strPath)

If lngID Then
            strPath = Left$(strPath, InStr(strPath, Chr$(0)) - 1) & "\"
        End If

If strPath <> "" Then
            Debug.Print "My documents = " & strPath
        Else
            Debug.Print "Unable to find My Documents path"
        End If
    End If

End Sub

Website links:

Old 01-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #20
Accessanitor
Newly Registered User

Accessanitor is on a distinguished road

Yep Sorry - I replied but then wanted to do more research and put up a more accurate post so deleted mine. But looks like you nailed it mate. You guys are like machines with your quick-draw responses lol
Accessanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #21
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accessanitor View Post
Yep Sorry - I replied but then wanted to do more research and put up a more accurate post so deleted mine. But looks like you nailed it mate. You guys are like machines with your quick-draw responses lol
Ah well you see I had received the email alert so I knew what you had deleted really - was just being disingenuous

Website links:

Old 01-05-2018, 07:11 PM   #22
arnelgp
error reading drive A:

Thanked 2,744 Times in 2,629 Posts
arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice

Gasman try adding extra #If on the code:

#If win64 then
#If VBE7 Then

Old 01-05-2018, 10:27 PM   #23
arnelgp
error reading drive A:

Thanked 2,744 Times in 2,629 Posts
arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice arnelgp is just really nice

Mr. Gasman after reading this:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba...tions-overview

i realised that my code will not work on
x32 office on win64 after all.

on my computer is both x64, Office and Windows.

Mr. Ridders, just copy my new Declarations.
Attached Files
File Type: zip System Tray Demo(Working 32 and 64 bit).zip (293.6 KB, 28 views)
isladogs (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #24
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Hi arnel

Well done - I tried to award you rep points (but not allowed as I've got to spread them around further first)
But as everyone knows ....points mean prizes

I've done a quick test on your new code in
Access 2010 32-bit / Win 10 32-bit
Access 2016 64-bit / Win 10 64-bit
It worked fine - I can see there is lots of code still to tidy up but it works

I can't test the Access 32-bit on Win 64-bit combination but i expect that will now work
As you've now added #If VBA7 hopefully it should also work for Gasman in Access 2007

I then added your new modules to my existing sample database.
After a fair bit of tweaking of code I've got that working as well in both 32-bit & 64-bit - attached

Its still work in progress
I want to do a fair bit of tidying up after which I'll upload to sample databases in place of current version

Thanks again
Attached Files
File Type: accdb SystemTrayAlert - NEW.accdb (896.0 KB, 33 views)

Website links:

Last edited by isladogs; 01-07-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:09 AM   #25
Gasman
Enthusiastic Amateur

Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough

Nope, still does not work for me.
On the click event of the button I get 'User-Defined Type not defined' error.

When I try and compile it is at

Code:
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
'arnelgp add this variables
'
Private mAppTrayIcon As String
Private mToolTip As String
#If Win64 Then
    Private mHandle As LongPtr
#Else
#End If
'
' end of arnelgp's variables
in the BallonToolTip class module and that is using Arnelgp's latest and your's Colin.

I would query the logic of that code as well?

Not to worry, it was just something I thought I might have a use for in the future?, a nice to have feature, not essential to have, so don't waste any more time for a 2007 compatible version.

So if anyone ever wants to test their systems for Access 2007 users, i'm your man.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:39 AM   #26
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Hi Paul

At some point, I will go through the code Arnel provided & tidy it up in my version.

Without in any way taking away from the fact that arnel got it to work (for me) & which I had failed to do myself, there is quite a lot of code there which I'm unsure about how/why it works

In fact arnel's comments suggest he was trying various kludges to get it to work

However you're right to question that section of code
It should be:

Code:
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
'arnelgp add this variables
'
Private mAppTrayIcon As String
Private mToolTip As String
#If Win64 Then
#Else
    Private mHandle As Long
#End If
'
' end of arnelgp's variables
I am amazed it compiled in 32 or 64 bit as originally written
Have altered it as shown in both my latest and arnel's latest & both still work in both A2010 32-bit & A2016 64-bit

NOTE: the tooltip is still not interactive which IMO significantly limits its usefulness.
In other words you can't click on the tooltip & perform some action with it (other than close the tooltip)

I'm far more interested in getting that part to work than worrying about 64-bit compatibility

In the meantime, you really do need to consider a VM with A2010 or later - possibly as runtime as you suggested a while ago

Website links:

Last edited by isladogs; 01-07-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:33 AM   #27
Gasman
Enthusiastic Amateur

Thank you Colin.

Amending that line now allows it to compile cleanly and it now works.

Thank you Arnelgp as well for amending for 2007.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #28
Accessanitor
Newly Registered User

Accessanitor is on a distinguished road

I recently experienced issues with a query that works on MSA2016 64-bit (Windows 10) but throws an empty query result in MSA2010 32-bit (Windows 7). No errors ever came up, but the result is empty. Do you guys have any idea what could cause this?

The SQL for the query is as follows: (not sure of it helps identify the problem though)
Code:
SELECT Q_Full_App_Regional.[Main Application], GlueStructure.[Glue Device File Name], GlueStructure.[Device Type], Count(GlueStructure.[Device Type]) AS [Amount of devices in database]
FROM Q_Full_App_Regional INNER JOIN GlueStructure ON Q_Full_App_Regional.[Glue Device File Name] = GlueStructure.[Glue Device File Name]
GROUP BY Q_Full_App_Regional.[Main Application], GlueStructure.[Glue Device File Name], GlueStructure.[Device Type]
HAVING (((Q_Full_App_Regional.[Main Application]) Like "*" & [Forms]![Software Requirements Form]![Combo13] & "*"));
I have experienced problems using the like statement in the past (in Windows 7 32 bit 2010)

Code:
Like "*" & [Forms]![Software Requirements Form]![Combo13] & "*"
Accessanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #29
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

New question. Please start a new thread.

Website links:

Old 01-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #30
Gasman
Enthusiastic Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridders View Post

In the meantime, you really do need to consider a VM with A2010 or later - possibly as runtime as you suggested a while ago
I realise your frustration Colin, but I/we only have 2007 which is sufficient for my/our needs.

I only have 4GB on Win10 Pro 32bit on my home laptop, but do have 12GB on my Win10 Home 64bit laptop in work, so will look to see about setting up a VM on that?.

I did one a few years back, just to try out, but never did anything serious with it. I seem to recall it was Linux.

If I was an experienced developer like that Bad Man, I would invest in the latest Access versions, but I'm pretty much an enthusiastic amateur, with limited funds.

Tags
action centre , notification , threading , vba access 2016

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: