Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > Site Suggestions

Old 08-09-2018, 06:18 AM   #1
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,172 Times in 1,072 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold
Two issues regarding site behavior

1. I tried to post a new thread to the "...News" section but it said (twice) that I don't have permission even though it knew my name i.e. my login ID was correct. I have posted there before, though admittedly it hasn't been recent. Has there been a change to posting policy?

The reason I WANTED to post a new thread was...

2. This morning I have noticed strange site behavior. At least a couple of times this morning already, I have apparently started to "double post" - i.e. I enter my post, no obvious problem except that it takes longer than it should based on prior behavior. But then it opens the "Advanced" posting box and I get a note that forum software requires me to wait 30 seconds before posting a second post. If I scroll down I can see that what I posted is already in the thread. I'm not doing anything different today than I have done before to create new posts, so I'm at a loss to explain it from me being unusually clumsy with posting technique. This double-posting happened to me recently but only once and I assumed I was just sloppy with the mouse, but this morning I'm not so sure.

EDIT: It happened again and I was very careful with the click this time. So that's three double-posts this morning. I have cleaned up the aftermath but it is just odd. Further, I have my system set up to NOTIFY me when an update occurs, so I don't think this is the result of an overnight update of my system.

EDIT #2: And again, but THIS time I didn't use the mouse. I used the tab key to step to the correct posting button and then tapped the ENTER key. But it still double-posted.

Last edited by The_Doc_Man; 08-09-2018 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Updated info.
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
Insane_ai
Newly Registered User

Insane_ai is on a distinguished road
Re: Two issues regarding site behavior

The message thing happened to me yesterday where is sent the message twice and made me wait. The login credential caching appears to be expiring before I can finish typing in many cases.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Insane_ai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:52 PM   #3
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Glad to know I'm not the only one who saw that.

I'm crazy and I know it - but I didn't think I was hallucinating.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #4
Insane_ai
Newly Registered User

To the programmers of this site:
The logout timing is annoying as hell. It seems that you have broken the caching.
I am seeing double messages, sending double messages in some cases and can't seem to finish a post without drafting it in Notepad before my credentials expire on the site.

If this is a push to get us to pay for the subscription, can you just be plain about that and I'll give up the friggin' $.

I've been using this site for nearly a decade and have no reservations against paying to continue but this is getting ridiculous with having to log back in every two sentences.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #5
Vassago
Administrator

Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about

I don't have that issue in IE or Chrome. What browser are you using? I wonder if they are browser settings.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:12 PM   #6
Insane_ai
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassago View Post
I don't have that issue in IE or Chrome. What browser are you using? I wonder if they are browser settings.
Windows 10 Pro V.1803 OS Build 17134.112
64-bit OS, x64 bit processor
Microsoft Edge 42.17134.1.0
Microsoft EdgeHTML 17.17134

If the browser is the issue, I'll argue with the admin to allow Chrome on my box, this will serve as the "Business use" case as I need access to this forums for my position.

Sorry for the vent, I got frustrated trying to work something out. I've been dealing with the issues on this site for a while; it just got to me today.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #7
Vassago
Administrator

Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about

Have you tried to check the box that keeps you logged in?

Old 08-14-2018, 06:54 PM   #8
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

I'm using Firefox, latest version for Win7/64-bit. I've had occasional problems with staying logged in but not like Insane AI is mentioning. The double-post problem has quieted down, though.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:47 AM   #9
Jon
Access World Site Owner

Thanked 1,816 Times in 59 Posts
Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future

Most times these things solve themselves of their own accord.

Jon
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:52 AM   #10
Jon
Access World Site Owner

Thanked 1,816 Times in 59 Posts
Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future Jon has a brilliant future

News forum is only for admins. Use the Site Suggestions for the issues you mentioned.

Jon
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:12 AM   #11
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,874 Times in 1,824 Posts
jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice jdraw is just really nice

I just experienced the double post with Firefox (I'm running 52.9.0 ESR for other reasons)

I clicked SAVE and it took a noticeable time (a couple of seconds max) then it showed 2 exactly the same posts.(same post count?)
https://access-programmers.co.uk/for...81&postcount=2
https://access-programmers.co.uk/for...81&postcount=3

jdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:20 AM   #12
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

OK on the "News" forum. I'll use "Suggestions" (as I did in this case) for anything having to do with site performance issues. (No, I'm really not up on being an Admn - don't want the implied responsibility.)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: