Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > Introduce Yourself

Old 09-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #1
Foster2019
Newly Registered User

Foster2019 is on a distinguished road
Smile Hi People

Hi people,

I picked up a book called ‘Database Design for Mere Mortals’ because it sounded cool, then started playing around with Microsoft Access. I gave myself a couple of projects, the first being a BMI calculator / weight convertor, it didn’t require any tables. Trying to find out more about VBA I flicked through a book called ‘Microsoft Access for Dummies’ but the section was too short to be useful. I eventually learned most of my coding from the Access help files in Microsoft Access 2003 as I didn’t have access to the internet at the time.

I moved onto making a database for a self-employed family member and a small community library. Looking back on them it’s embarrassing (Luckily no one else can see the code), but I learn with every project I take on, and you have to start somewhere.

Having access to the internet now is great; I couldn’t come across many books on VBA. This site seems to be really helpful so I thought I’d sign up
Greetings 

Foster2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Foster2019 For This Useful Post:
Uncle Gizmo (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,014 Times in 2,741 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold
Re: Hi People

Welcome to AWF. Sounds like the past history of many of us here

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,

"As we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know. It is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones" Donald Rumsfeld
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:47 PM   #3
NauticalGent
Pristine Curmudgeon
Gold Supporter

NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to AWF, ditto what Col said. My two favorite Access VBA books:

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Acc.../dp/0735659877
http://site.thehousewaresstore.com/o....Reference.pdf

Best of luck and again welcome.

“It follows then as certain that night succeeds the day, that without normalization, we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.” - with apologies to George Washington
NauticalGent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NauticalGent For This Useful Post:
Foster2019 (10-01-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 10:56 PM   #4
theDBguy
I’m here to help

Thanked 1,282 Times in 1,263 Posts
theDBguy has a spectacular aura about theDBguy has a spectacular aura about

Hi. Welcome to AWF!

|
|
theDBguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #5
NauticalGent
Pristine Curmudgeon
Gold Supporter

NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about NauticalGent has a spectacular aura about

Additionally, if books aren’t your thing, one of our members has provided a series of YouTube videos: “Better VBA”.

Perfect for those who want to learn and are not afraid to get under the hood. Here is the first one:

https://youtu.be/PqIu0NY5ihI
“It follows then as certain that night succeeds the day, that without normalization, we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.” - with apologies to George Washington
NauticalGent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NauticalGent For This Useful Post:
Foster2019 (10-01-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
Foster2019
Newly Registered User

Foster2019 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the warm welcome people, and for posting those links NauticalGent.
I was reading the third book of 'The 100' series but it’s going to have to wait until I finish that pdf file you sent
I'm watching those YouTube videos now, it’s great to finally find a place where people discuss this type of stuff.
Foster2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:06 AM   #7
jdraw
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,025 Times in 1,972 Posts
jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light jdraw is a glorious beacon of light

Hi and welcome to AWF.
I also like the Hernandez book.
Here is a link to a list of database related articles in various formats that you may find useful.

jdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdraw For This Useful Post:
Foster2019 (10-09-2019)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: