Go Back   Access World Forums > Access World > The Watercooler

Old 11-19-2019, 06:54 AM   #46
vba_php
Software Engineer

vba_php is on a distinguished road
Re: Is OOP actually useful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vba_php View Post
Today I got my first text message from a bot that has taken over the initial candidate search process for the recruiter.
speaking of recruiters, is anyone else here currently looking for a new position? I had yet another person call me this morning that had multiple openings to share with me and wanted to submit my credentials for all of them. I didn't mind of course, but i kinda get the feeling that these people want to submit as many profiles to the hiring company as possible in order to look good and show themselves as a company that is able to find viable candidates quickly. does anybody else here have experience dealing with these people?

vba_php is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:06 AM   #47
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,600 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

When I was working in the oil & gas business (commercial world) I was the liaison with our HR department because they didn't have anyone who could evaluate programmer quality. We used different recruitment teams at different times and all I could say was, they were a mixed bag.

More specifically, some companies sent us folks who worked out great - but one company sent us rejects, misfits, and outright nincompoops. One of their candidates wanted to get into real-time programming and his qualifications were that he had a programmable hand-held calculator. Another candidate had a Master's degree in Pharmacology from the University of the Ryukyus (Okinawa group) with a thesis on psychoactive herbs of the Pacific Islands. His letter included a typical "hippie" salutation. The guy's relocation fees would have been horrific given the distance.

Like any other business, head-hunter recruitment firms depend on the management and employees. When looking for ditch-diggers, not too hard to figure out. When looking for higher-tech, ... they send you ditch diggers. Yeah, I know sometimes we talk about "working down in the trenches" - but we don't meant it literally.

Last edited by The_Doc_Man; 11-19-2019 at 07:07 AM. Reason: fix typos
The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #48
vba_php
Software Engineer

what do you guys think about this?

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/adame...906466816-P9QZ

Old 11-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #49
Frothingslosh
Premier Pale Stale Ale

Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough Frothingslosh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajP View Post
From Jdraw

Am I the only one who was blown away by this? I been doing vba for 20 years and have read everything I could. I had no idea that you could define an interface. Never seen an example anywhere. Interfaces are not really inheritance, but kind of acts like it. It is a little clumsy with the name changes, but pretty cool.
If you're interested in an example you can get your hands on, I posted a demo in the OOP thread a couple years back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Frothingslosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:03 AM   #50
MajP
Newly Registered User

MajP has a spectacular aura about MajP has a spectacular aura about

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...d.php?t=308038

I provided some interface discussion in the thread.
MajP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #51
kevlray
Newly Registered User

kevlray will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vba_php View Post
speaking of recruiters, is anyone else here currently looking for a new position? I had yet another person call me this morning that had multiple openings to share with me and wanted to submit my credentials for all of them. I didn't mind of course, but i kinda get the feeling that these people want to submit as many profiles to the hiring company as possible in order to look good and show themselves as a company that is able to find viable candidates quickly. does anybody else here have experience dealing with these people?

I have not tried to look for a new position for several years. At this point I do not want to mess up anything with my retirement benefits (I am looking about retiring in 3.5 years). Also my skills are wide and varied which works well for where I am at, but not so sure about anywhere else.
kevlray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:12 PM   #52
vba_php
Software Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlray View Post
At this point I do not want to mess up anything with my retirement benefits (I am looking about retiring in 3.5 years).
you wouldn't be able to fathom how much the University of Iowa employees and UI hospital employees get in retirement. UI professors and employees have TIA CREFF accounts, which are very generous in retirement, but what is more insane than that is the state of Iowa public employees retirement system (IPERS). I know plenty of old people receivers IPERS benefits now that they're retired and most of them say that they are receiving more money per year in retirement than they ever made in a single year working! most of the people i know that have this acccount are hospital workers, public school teachers, government workers and bus drivers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: