user access denied in Access 2000 Runtime (1 Viewer)

callaway

Local time
Today, 07:24
We have two computers in a work group. On computer1 I have the back-end and front-end database files in the shared folder and 2 users out of 4 can access the database no problem. When the other users try to access the database they receive the error message "Microsoft Access can't Find The Database 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\db.mdb' Make sure you entered the correct path and filename" On computer2 I have the front-end database files in the shared folder and pointing to the same back-end database on computer1. Again 2 users out of 4 can access the database no problem. When the other users try to access the database they receive the same error described above.

I expect that this is some sort of windows permissions issue?
There are some clues to this fact ..
The two users that can't access the database are limited accounts, but I tried making them administrators and this had no affect.
Their shared documents folder does not have a hand underneath it?

Any help on this appreciated as it's really starting to annoy me now!

Thanks.

MartijnR

Registered User.
Local time
In the directory where you keep the access files, do all users have write permissions? (can they create a file?)

Access wants to make a ldb file when it's running.

If this is not the cause, can you describe your situation a bit different? I'm a bit confused about the users/computers/files :)

callaway

Local time
The files are in the "Shared Folders" on Windows XP which I am presuming (perhaps incorrectly) that all users including limited accounts have write access to?
I have temporarily got around the problem by making all users administrators.
Thanks for your help

MartijnR

Registered User.
Local time
Can all users (without them being administrator) create and delete a test file in that directory? (A simple txt file will do to test)

Maybe you can create another group and put the users in there. Then give that group modify rights for the neccessary directory.

Permissions are 'build up' in 2 steps. Share permissions and NTFS permissions. Microsoft gives 'everyone' Full Control by default for share permissions, so that is not likely the cause of your trouble. But maybe worth looking into :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom