Shootings in US schools (2 Viewers)

KenHigg

Local time
Yesterday, 22:02
SJ McAbney said:
I realise I do speak as an outsider, as someone with little experience around a society where packing weaponry is as normal as breakfast. But, I don't think you need immersed in such a culture to be allowed to be critical of it.

Darn, again you were doing well until you did this. Why do you think this how it is in the US?

KenHigg

Local time
SJ McAbney said:
...As for hunters, however, I would expect them to hand their rifles into some sort of designated safehouse (forest rangers?) when finished their week away, rather than take them home.

That's certainly an option. It would suite me fine. But I think the logistics would be overwheming. Pretty creative... Any other ideas?

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Today, 03:02
KenHigg said:
That's certainly an option. It would suite me fine. But I think the logistics would be overwheming. Pretty creative... Any other ideas?

How about taking the ownership away from the hunters to avoid any registration of guns and who owns what to having some sort of rifle hire, available only to those holding some sort of hunting license, which is only issued for a set period (like a passport) for those testing for things such as sanity, criminal record since last application, eyesight, physique, etc.

KenHigg

Local time
SJ McAbney said:
How about taking the ownership away from the hunters to avoid any registration of guns and who owns what to having some sort of rifle hire, available only to those holding some sort of hunting license, which is only issued for a set period (like a passport) for those testing for things such as sanity, criminal record since last application, eyesight, physique, etc.

Again, this would suite me fine. But when you consider the scale of a national solution it becomes undoable. Maybe a pilot system in a smaller, more manageable area would be the place to test it and work out the issues. I would also like to point out that I think a system like this would not eliminate the 'illegal hunting rifles' nor would it prevent an otherwise 'legal' gun from getting into the hands of a criminal. Though it would probably lower the odds...

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Lowering the odds is a good start.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
SJ McAbney said:
Oh, certainly. They do need considered separately.

Police
Military
Sportsmen
Gangs
Farmers
Hunters

Who else really needs guns?
but that covers most of the population in that list

As for hunters, however, I would expect them to hand their rifles into some sort of designated safehouse (forest rangers?) when finished their week away, rather than take them home.
Once hunters have the taste of blood and the enjoyment of killing something. They strap the carcass to their car and proudly parade around with it. I doubt if they are likely to give up their gun - "its their right to have one":rolleyes: they just can't help it. I suppose its marginally better to kill a deer than children - its still murder, but you get away with it.:rolleyes:

Col

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
KenHigg said:
Why do you think this how it is in the US?
Your media certainly plays a part. The notion, from the answers I received elsewhere, that turnaround in obtaining a gun can be as little as an hour gives it that feel that you can almost walk in off the street and buy one.

Then kids go to school with them, or the fear is there at least, hence the detectors. And you can carry them in cars, I believe. My friend just came back from seven months driving across the US; I'll ask him for more information.

KenHigg

Local time
SJ McAbney said:
Lowering the odds is a good start.

I agree. I'm guessing the bean counters would come into play at about this point; ie: How much is this system going to cost and how much effect will it have. If it cost a $100 million and it saved 1 life it's not worth it... Sad but true. Not just in gun control but with most all issues :cool:

KenHigg

Local time
Rich said:
Your media, should we watch something else?

May I remind you yet again that it's YOUR media. ;)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
SJ McAbney said:
Your media certainly plays a part.
Mile-O, I've suggested this many times in the past, and have always been ridiculed for "believing" what the USA pumps out on TV and film.

I even did a thread on "Things we learn about America from TV and film" - again it was poo-poo'd as being not true.:rolleyes:

You're on a loser with this one me old mate - as is Rich, the Yanks won't have it

Rich said:
Your media, should we watch something else?

Col

R

Rich

KenHigg said:
May I remind you yet again that it's YOUR media. ;)
No it is only shown on our media, your lot made it in the first place;)

Ksan

Flailling in the dark
Local time
What's the turnaround in application to receipt?

1 hour to 2 to 3 days, depending on where purchased. Also criminal record comes into play here. Certain crimes, i.e. domestic violence = no legal gun ownership rights.

Yikes! Is that really still the case? I'm sure I heard somewhere that there was a two week 'cooling down' period or did that not come into law?

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
KenHigg said:
I agree. I'm guessing the bean counters would come into play at about this point; ie: How much is this system going to cost and how much effect will it have. If it cost a $100 million and it saved 1 life it's not worth it... Sad but true. Not just in gun control but with most all issues :cool:

I suppose what's really needed is something, as a kickstart, is something that will empower more people with a sense of community, although I couldn't begin to suggest. The media (TV, film, computer games, music) in general are isolatory pastimes which aids the creation of outcasts, and cutting oneself off from communal activities helps to desensitise such things, degrading the understanding of the effect such activities as shooting can have. Not just in the US, but the world over.

KenHigg

Local time
ColinEssex said:
I suppose its marginally better to kill a deer than children - its still murder, but you get away with it.:rolleyes:

Col

See what kind of IQ resides around here Ksan... :rolleyes: One has to be able to weed out the chaff around here and have thick skin at the same time. According to COl, If I kill an deer to eat it's murder, the same as murdering children, but if Col pays his butcher to murder a cow to eat, like paying him to murder children, it's ok...:rolleyes:

R

Rich

KenHigg said:
See what kind of IQ resides around here Ksan..
Pretty low if your logic is any thing to go by Kenny

. According to COl, If I kill an deer to eat it's murder, the same as murdering children, but if Col pays his butcher to murder a cow to eat, like paying him to murder children, it's ok...:rolleyes

The butcher doesn't have to stalk the cow to start with:rolleyes:

msp

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
but that covers most of the population in that list
Once hunters have the taste of blood and the enjoyment of killing something. They strap the carcass to their car and proudly parade around with it. I doubt if they are likely to give up their gun - "its their right to have one":rolleyes: they just can't help it. I suppose its marginally better to kill a deer than children - its still murder, but you get away with it.:rolleyes:

Col

Whilst I sometimes question the motivation of some individual hunters, If you eat meat you cannot complain about a deer being shot. especially when compared to you roast chicken, and the life it has had...

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
KenHigg said:
If I kill an deer to eat it's murder, the same as murdering children, but if Col pays his butcher to murder a cow to eat, like paying him to murder children, it's ok...:rolleyes:
I laid that one out for you Kenneth, and you followed it like a lamb to slaughter:D

Glad I haven't lost the knack - I was beginning to think you had me sussed for a while.:rolleyes: ;) :p

Col

R

Rich

msp said:
Whilst I sometimes question the motivation of some individual hunters, If you eat meat you cannot complain about a deer being shot. especially when compared to you roast chicken, and the life it has had...
Except that you don't hang the chicken's feathers on the lounge wall as a trophy;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom