Importing data from excel into existing database (1 Viewer)

MarkWest

Local time
Today, 00:00
Hi,

I am having a real hard time automatically importing data from excel into an existing database. The wizard appears to only allow into a new database, can anyone help me with this?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 22:00
Please elaborate on what steps you are taking to import, because you are probably either missing a step or not going to the right place. You can import data into an existing database; it's not limited to a new one.

MarkWest

Local time
Bob,

Thank you very much for the quick reply. Here are the steps I have taken:

I have a excel file on my desktop, with three simple columns. I have data inputed into the columns, and the column labels line up exactly with a table called Practice in SQL.

I am using SQL 2005, Server Management studio. when I log onto my server, I right click on the database and select "Tasks" and Then import data. From there I am able to select the source which is the Excel file, and the next window I can select the database to copy to, but there doesn't appear to be an option in the wizard to select an existing table in that database. Because it automatically creates a new table each time. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 22:00
You might try using DTS to do this instead.

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Today, 06:00
Hi there

Ok I just did this, in the part in the import wizard where you select the sheet, it shows the destination (usually as sheet1$) click on the destination and change the text to the name of your table you want to import into.

Another way would be accept the defaults then change the name of the table after the wizrard has run

Last edited:

MarkWest

Local time
Thank you all for your advice, I was able to solve the problem completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom