Update queries vs append queries, indexes? (1 Viewer)

JTQ911

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:23
This is a very simple problem most likely for the masses, but I am new to access. I have employees who enter will enter information about specific tests on electronics components into separate tables by a form. I know my method is poor, but this is how it works. I got assigned this database at my internship this summer because they ran out of thigns for me to do.....I've never even used access before, so as long as it works, they're happy. I have a form which which writes to a first table with 20 fields. I then have separate update queries which take the data in the first table and put it in all the other tables. Trust me, i know this is pretty much the opposite of the whole point of a relational database, but I am and was limited by time, for the size of the database they want, there was no time to learn about normalization etc etc. Sorry this is wordy, but THE QUESTION is......if they run multiple tests wtih the same information for some of the fields I have fields named "Run#, Unit#, Date" etc, even if there is records wtih the same information, hwo do i get it all to show. Right now, it seems to be rewriting over the same records. If they run 3 tests on unit 10 on August 1st, how do i get it so all those show up. I think its somethign wtih in the table, for the primary keys, changing the Index: No, Yes(Duplicates) Yes(No Duplicates) but I could be way off. Thanks, if the question doesnt make sense i'll try to rephrase it, I apologize I'm running on about 45 min of sleep:confused:

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 08:23
If you use the Now() function to populate the input date then you will store the time as well which will make it easier to see the separate records.

If you post your database we wmay be able to see what the problem is.

JTQ911

Registered User.
Local time
Okay, i'll post the database.....the form of interest is "New Units".....that adds data to the table "General" then all the update queries add whatever fields are the same to every other table. Thanks in advance.

JTQ911

Registered User.
Local time
okay, even zipped up its 900 kb, too big to attach? any other suggestions, email etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom