Invalid Bracketing of Name 'mdb.'. (1 Viewer)

benson5

Local time
Yesterday, 20:50
I am trying to import data into Excel using a New Database Query, but receive the error "Invalid Bracketing of Name 'mdb.'." I can preview the data in the Query wizard, so it seems like Excel is finding the data, but I always get the above error.

I have performed the exact same process on another machine and it works fine. Is it possible that excel or access settings are causing this error, or perhaps my ms office is corrupt?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:50
I don't know for sure but I will have a guess.

>>>"Invalid Bracketing of Name 'mdb.'."<<<<

It could be that access is objecting to the decimal point "." after the mdb, maybe you could try surrounding this area with square brackets "[.....]" Like this.

Last edited:

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
Yesterday, 19:50
What is the full name of the DB you're trying to import? It's most likely an invalid character.

benson5

Local time
Invalid bracketing ?

The original MS DB was OHLabor-ACCESS.mdb; however, I tried creating a new database test.mdb and I am getting the same error.

For the (.) at the end of the mdb; is it possible that somehow my computer is appending that (.). When you view the file it doesn't have that there, but somehow the error is appearing. However, excel is able to read the database b/c in the window to add the columns you are able to 'preview' the fields.

Thanks!

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
Yesterday, 19:50
What does the code look like where this is failing? Invalid bracketing is usually not a filename problem, but ... drumroll... an invalid bracketing problem. This typically means that either an opening or closing bracket was forgotten and/or accidentally doubled somewhere, and it's more of a syntactical issue rather than naming convention issue.

benson5

Local time
I am simply using the Query Wizard in excel, I haven't written or modified code. I go to Data -> Import Externa Data --> New Database Query -> MS Access Database -> Select filename, etc. Is it still possible to get a coding issue? If so, how should I access the code?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom