Evolution of Englis maths Teaching (1 Viewer)

M

Mike375

Evolution of English maths teaching

1. Teaching Maths In 1970

A logger sells a truckload of timber for $100.
His cost of production is 4/5 of the price.
What is his profit?

2. Teaching Maths In 1980

His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80.
What is his profit?

3. Teaching Maths In 1990

His cost of production is $80.
Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Maths In 2000

His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20.

Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Maths In 2008

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands.

He does this so he can make a profit of $20.
What do you think of this way of making a living?
Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers. )

6. Teaching Maths in 2018

المسجل تبيع حموله شاحنة من الخشب من اجل 100 دولار. صاحب تكلفة الانتاج من الثمن. ما هو الربح له؟

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 13:32
Where can you buy a lorryload of timber for $100?

Col

M

Mike375

In a joke:D

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Oh I see - it's a joke . . . . . .

But this is how the UK GCE and A level exams have become over the years - this is reality not fantasy.

The only link is that the UK education system is a joke - teachers do little and work only part-time for full-time salary. They get 3 months leave (paid) per year. Now they've voted to strike for a 10% pay rise.

Teachers need to experience the real world, maybe they'd appreciate what they have got.

Col

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 05:32
But this is how the UK GCE and A level exams have become over the years - this is reality not fantasy.

When was the last time you sat one of these Exams Col?

I agree to a certain extent, that maybe qualifications aren't quite what they used to be - its harder to tell from qualifications those who have a brain from those who don't.

Having said that, in my work experience its the older generation who persist in jobs whilst having little or no aptitude for them.

What this joke fails to include - is the availability of resitting this question in modular form over and over again till you get the right answer and so qualification.
Still I work with lots of the younger staff the majority of whom have intelligence, comon sense and initiative, the majority of the fifty plus I work with lack all 3, whilst living in houses their parents and children could only dream about.

Last edited:
R

Rich

Still I work with lots of the younger staff the majority of whom have intelligence, comon sense and initiative, the majority of the fifty plus I work with lack all 3, whilst living in houses their parents and children could only dream about.

You must be working for the civil service then because the obverse is true everywhere else

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 05:32
You must be working for the civil service then because the obverse is true everywhere else

Almost, lots of pointless government contracts, except its been privatised now, just as inefficient and more pointless (55k a year to make sure a single one legged gay muslim can access Thai massage courses in Thailand for retraining/employability purposes), I am guessing but with extra cost of profits to be made thrown in also.

All headed up by the usless old lazy theiving twats who where thrown out of the civil service.

You may be able to tell - I am not in a very good mood at all.:mad:

R

Rich

Look the trick to working in an office is to dream up more and more garbage that we don't need so as to justify your existance in the job, there's plenty of scope since these Labour idiots took office, and you no longer need to worry about logical outcome either, it either doesn't exist or is brushed aside as unwarranted:mad:

statsman

Local time
Today, 08:32
When I was in High School (when dinosaurs ruled the Earth) a diploma was an accomplishment. In order to get one you actually had to work for it. It was a symbol to a potential employer that you were willing to successfully complete the training that might make you of use to the company that was hiring you.

Nowadays it seems that a High School Diploma is a right for just showing up for school two or three days a week.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
In the UK, most children (except the intelligent ones) go to university but nobody fails. Everyone gets a degree, it's just that some pass slightly better than others.

Then they get a job that has nothing to do with the degree.

Sports days in schools are now banned because those kids that don't win get psychologically damaged. It takes the childminder ages to get them over it - parents would never spot it.

Wonderful stuff education.

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom