Invalid Argument Error (1 Viewer)

mafhobb

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:29
Hello, I'll thank anyone who helps up front!!!

I have a large db that we have been using for 18months or so. It contains several tables with related table (form+subform). This db is shared on a network with 6-8 users. I store much data and also images in it.

It has been working flawlessly for a long time but in the last four days the users and me (admin) are getting a funny error. At one point or another, when entering data on a subform, we get an "Invalid Argument" error when picking a value off a combo box (which obviously has a limited number of correct choices). Once one user gets the error message, all others get the same error when trying to enter data using the same combo box. Data in other tables seem to be getting updated quite inconsistently. It does not matter if the 2nd user was logged in at the time the first error showed up or not. Shutting down Access on all machines and restarting it does not fix the problem. Only running the "Compact and Repair" feature fixes the problem. However, a day later, the problem shows up again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again

Rcmob

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:29
I don't know if it's the same problem, but when I experienced something similar it was due to the data in one table being corrupted (this was visible in the table by more and more rows displaying Error# instead of their real values).

The only thing that permanently corrected this for me - and I tried lots of suggested solutions - was to create a blank database, import everything from the original one into the new one, rename the new one to what the original was called, then scrap the original altogether.

mafhobb

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks ALc

I will be checking that the next time I get the error.

mafhobb

mafhobb

Registered User.
Local time
Well, we got the error again, and all my tables and forms look fine. Any other ideas?

mafhobb

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:29
Can you get it to display the value being chosen?
(MsgBox Combo Box Name)

dapfeifer

Bringing Maverick Mojo
Local time
Hey mafhobb how much HDD space is your database actually occupying? I've noticed that occasionally I get this error when my DB gets up to the 2GB size, and after compact and repair it works alright again. You may either need to clean out old, obsolete data or have data exported to a separate file or something to keep your db from filling up.

I'd also say you could check the option to compact the DB on close, but that could pose a problem if you have multiple users using it at a given time.

also when I get this error I do occasionally have to do the whole copy/paste to a new db in order to get it working again.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 17:29
I certainly hope this is a split (frontend/backend) database with the frontend on EACH user's computer. If not, you are flirting with disaster.

mafhobb

Registered User.
Local time
Hey mafhobb how much HDD space is your database actually occupying? I've noticed that occasionally I get this error when my DB gets up to the 2GB size, and after compact and repair it works alright again. You may either need to clean out old, obsolete data or have data exported to a separate file or something to keep your db from filling up.

I'd also say you could check the option to compact the DB on close, but that could pose a problem if you have multiple users using it at a given time.

also when I get this error I do occasionally have to do the whole copy/paste to a new db in order to get it working again.

Hi Dapfeifer, Yeah my database is about 2Gb at this point. And no, It is not split...I have no idea how to do that and some searches I have done give only partial information and they assume that the I know more than I do to get it done...

Boblarson, do you think that this is the problem?

mafhobb

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 17:29
The size of an Access db can only be 2Gb INCLUDING the space for system info.

As for splitting, here is some good info:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/Articles/split/

I would split it and see how that works. If you need to, you can set your backend to be a combination of databases with linked tables to other mdb files so you can extend the 2Gb limit.

mafhobb

Registered User.
Local time
BobLarson,

I have figured out what is happening. My first problem is that the images I have embedded in the database are taking up a huge amount of memory. When I delete the picture row from the database table, the database goes from 1.99Gb to 2800kb....So I think I need to find a better way to store those pictures.

1- I have a few questions about that, if you know the answer. I have about 600 pictures in the database. We drag and drop fairly small pictures (7-8kb), so how is it possible that instead of 4.5Mb or so, these pictures are taking about 1.9Gb? Is there any setting somewhere that I need to tweak?

2- If there is no way to regain all that memory back, is there any way to automatically turn those embedded images into an actual file? I imagine that I will have to change the data type in the database later and create links to the image files off the database?

Thanks Again

mafhobb

mafhobb

Registered User.
Local time
I am working both on a short term and a long term fix for my database.

The long term involves splitting the db, and possibly linking the images instead of embedding them in the db. Something else I will look into is splitting tables into "current" and "archived" record or something similar to decrease the db file size.

The short term involves sizing down the pictures that are unnecessarily large, and I have done some experiments with embedding images in the db.

Experiment:
I use the same 320x120 image for this experiment, except that it is saved in two formats; bmp and jpg. Also, I compact the db before embedding the picture and after embedding the picture. No other changes to the db. The idea is to see what file type and size do to the db.
Results:
-The jpg file is 12kb before drag-and-dropping it into the db, but once the db is saved and compacted, the db grew by 400Kb.
-The bmp file is 128Kb before I drag-and-drop it into the db, but once the db is saved and compacted, the db grew by 132Kb.
Conclusion:
-Dragging a larger bmp file into the db causes the db to grow less than using a smaller jpg file.

Has anyone experienced this? Is this due to OLE issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom