Question about using the Access Front-end Auto-Updating Utility (1 Viewer)

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:50
In the Sample Databases Forum (Access World Forums \ Microsoft Access Reference \ Sample Databases ), I located a thread regarding a tool called the “Access Front-end Auto-Updating Utility”, that looks like it could be a very useful in my project.

I downloaded a sample database from boblarson’s Site, and when I read the directions, I discovered that I would be unable to use it (or at least use the tool to install it), because My BE is not in MS Access. My Application BE has been migrated to an SQL Server Platform. A tool like this could be very good for my users. Is there an alternative for me?

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
pbaldy,

Thanks for the assistance so far. I have been trying, but as I am not really a VB programmer (yet), I have not yet able been able to make it work.

I had so much hope for boblarson’s procedure, and hoped to find a way to make it work for me.

I am not sure I understand enough about Tony's procedure to begin to make it work.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 09:50
You should be able to make it work with SQL Server. I haven't tried it, but you should be able to link the version table directly.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
In my case, I'm thinking about uploading the updated FE as a BLOB type to MySQL where it can check the FE's version and push the new FE where needed. This would probably use the same batch file that Bob wrote as part of his updating utility.

But I have other things to do so it'll have to wait before I can do any testing.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
You should be able to make it work with SQL Server. I haven't tried it, but you should be able to link the version table directly.

I was hoping that you would say that. The directions that came in the database that was downloaded, seem to require entry of an Access Database name ofr the Back End. I think this is so that there is a place to make the required tables. Is there another set? Or perhaps I can link to a dummy database and use the SSMA Migration tool to mive it to the server.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
In my case, I'm thinking about uploading the updated FE as a BLOB type to MySQL where it can check the FE's version and push the new FE where needed. This would probably use the same batch file that Bob wrote as part of his updating utility.

But I have other things to do so it'll have to wait before I can do any testing.

Can you let us know how that turns out?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I was hoping that you would say that. The directions that came in the database that was downloaded, seem to require entry of an Access Database name ofr the Back End. I think this is so that there is a place to make the required tables. Is there another set? Or perhaps I can link to a dummy database and use the SSMA Migration tool to mive it to the server.

If you just use a dummy database to point it to so it can put the table there then move it to the server, I think that should work. But you'll have to link to it as well from the frontend (which you would have to do anyway with an Access backend).

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
If you just use a dummy database to point it to so it can put the table there then move it to the server, I think that should work. But you'll have to link to it as well from the frontend (which you would have to do anyway with an Access backend).

I expected that. and I can look at the list of tables to determine the name(s) of the new one(s) so that I can get thenm from the server. I will try to do it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom