World Series (1 Viewer)

KenHigg

Local time
Yesterday, 20:33
What the heck happened last night...?

Did they play through the rain just so the Rays could tie it? I saw pcs in the news this morning but didn't stay up to watch...

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 01:33
What the heck happened last night...?

Did they play through the rain just so the Rays could tie it? I saw pcs in the news this morning but didn't stay up to watch...

Do I gather from this that your big strong sportsmen don't normally play if it rains?

Brian

redneckgeek

Local time
Do I gather from this that your big strong sportsmen don't normally play if it rains?

Brian

That's the problem... The only big, strong sportsmen in baseball are the ones that take steroids.

Never did understand why they don't play in the rain.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Oh S**t, I was thinking of American Football, I feel a right prat, thanks for being gentle with me. :eek:

Brian

KenHigg

Local time
It's probably that nobody would come out and watch if it was raining - :p

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
It's probably that nobody would come out and watch if it was raining - :p
So the teams and the supporters are whimps, well we've been saying much the same here for years, thanks for providing the evidence:p

redneckgeek

Local time
I know cricket is similar to baseball - do they play that in the rain?

They must, since I've heard that matches generally last for a few years.:p

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
I know cricket is similar to baseball -

No it isn't, cricket's far too complicated for Americans

do they play that in the rain?

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
not that old chestnut again. :(

Brian
Yes, the poster's likely to be branded a troublemaker for daring to post the question, now he should recite after me three times, I must not criticise or question American beliefs that it owns and is the WORLD;)

statsman

Local time
Notice in the above posted photo that the player is running. It was probably taken shortly after the rain started as the players bolted for the pavilions.
Sorry to disappoint you but Cricket is NOT played in the rain for the same reason that baseball is not, it's dangerous for the players. The pitcher or bowler has little control over a wet ball and the fielders slip and slide on wet grass (even with spikes) pulling leg muscles.

Cricket does break for tea however. How cute. :p

Fifty: The "World" in World's Series has been bandyed about on this forum forever (I think it was the third topic ever posted in the Watercooler). My submission is that the Series was named for the New York World newspaper (now defunct) who were the driving force for a post season championship between the American and National Leagues. Please note: if you ever get a look at the championship trophy it does say W O R L D ' S Series.

Last edited:

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Yesterday, 17:33
Thank you for that information, I was just thinking that since there is a slim chance that the Jays could one day maybe perhaps make it that far that it would be a World Series... ;)
Fifty: The "World" in World's Series has been bandyed about on this forum forever (I think it was the third topic ever posted in the Watercooler). My submission is that the Series was named for the New York World newspaper (now defunct) who were the driving force for a post season championship between the American and National Leagues. Please note: if you ever get a look at the championship trophy it does say W O R L D ' S Series.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
We just prefer sports that (generally) end the same day they begin.
But you're not keen on them being over too quickly, or you wouldn't have quite so many ad breaks and other chances for the players to take a breather. :D

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
We just prefer sports that (generally) end the same day they begin.
Yes we've mentioned before about Americans having a problem with the length of their attention span

statsman

Local time
Try telling your boss in N. America you need 3 days off to go to a test match. He will probably suggest you take the rest of your career off. In the UK you could probably negotiate something.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Test mtches a scheduled for 5 days , County matches are over 3, this is why sensible hardworking people do not bother with cricket, especially as most end up as draws and some funny points system is used to decide the championships.
It also explains why 20-20 and other variants are more popular, please don't ask me to explain I've never watched the game since the test when Laker, or was it Loch, took 19 Aussie wickets.

Brian

statsman

Local time
But you're not keen on them being over too quickly, or you wouldn't have quite so many ad breaks and other chances for the players to take a breather. :D

As a regulation baseball game is 9 innings, the commercial breaks are pre-planned (unless you have a desire to see the pitchers and fielders do their throw the ball around warm ups).
The extra breaks are inserted when a team makes a pitching change. When a new pitcher is inserted, he has to walk in from the bullpen and is allowed 8 practice pitches to "warm up". Again, you are not really missing any action during this break.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
the funny thing is that Baseball is probably one US sport in which they may NOT be pre-eminent

eg - many world teams could give US a game at baseball

nobody could at US football

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom