Question Access runtime on Windows Server 2008 with Terminal Services (1 Viewer)

neilbmclaughlin

Local time
Today, 11:08
I am attempting to deploy a runtime version of a 35 user Access 2007 system using SQL Server at the back-end to Windows 2008 Server with terminal services.

So,

• I can create a runtime package (.accde) for the application using Access 2010.
  • I can run the runtime file locally without any problems
  • I can run the runtime file on a Windows 2008 server with terminal services and a full install of MS Office 2010 without problems. I do get the Microsoft Security Access Warning about not being able to ensure it is from a trustworthy source but can OK through that and the application runs.

However ...

• If I remove the full Office install and try to run the application using the Access 2010 runtime only then I get the same security warning but following that then the macro step debugger appears with an error (see below)
  • The only option available at this point is to stop the application.
  • I have added a simple dialog box at the beginning of the AutoExec function which appears when run locally but not when running on the server.

Error details:

Macroname: AutoExec
ActionName: RunCode
Arguments: Autoexec()
Error Number: 2001

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this or how I can go about diagnosing the problem.

Thanks in advance

Neil

PaulO

Registered User.
Local time
Sounds like perhaps your Autoexec startup macro has a fault? I'd look at that first.

Also, as far as i'm aware, you don't need to uninstall any other Office products to accommodate a Runtime application.

neilbmclaughlin

Local time
Thanks for the response.

I think I had worked out that the problem was with autoexec. My problems are:

• understanding why the *.accde file runs OK when full Access is installed but not when only the runtime is installed
  • how to debug this. I would normally drop some message dialogs into autoexec to work out where it breaks but the message dialog at the very top of autoexec does not get displayed when run using the runtime (it does get displayed when using full Access)

I think this means that the runtime fails when asked to run autoexec not when actually running it.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Neil

PS I'm an Access newbie but an experienced .NET developer

PaulO

Registered User.
Local time
am attempting to deploy a runtime version of a 35 user Access 2007 system using SQL Server at the back-end to Windows 2008 Server with terminal services.

So,

• I can create a runtime package (.accde) for the application using Access 2010.
Just a question on the scenario that you have ... if its an Access 2007 file (accdb) you should perhaps try deploying it with Microsoft Access Runtime 2007 (accdr). I run some 2007 runtime applications (with autoexec macros) and haven't yet encountered the problems you're experiencing.

pjs

Local time
Today, 13:08
We do everything you do except use run time. Add the Access front-end (mde) to each user profile and go for it. Understand the licence issue but often these are available for most users already runnig Office.

neilbmclaughlin

Local time
OK, I finally got to the bottom of this.

There were dependencies in the application on Outlook and Excel so removing the full Office install broke the dependency and prevented AutoExec from even starting running when using the runtime. This explains the failure of my diagnostic message box to appear.

So if we want to use just the runtime we will need to change our code.

Cheers

Neil

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Unless there have been changes to the licensing on the Terminal Server, the cost of additional users was mininal, you could consider running mde or accde. There is only one version of the Office application - just many users.

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom