ODBC Call Failed when different ODBC tables are linked with different accounts (1 Viewer)

sharpnova

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:01
I have two linked ODBC tables in my access applications. If I link them both with the same account, they work fine.

If I link them each with a different account, when I view one, it will work fine. When I try to view the other, it will give an ODBC call failed.

Regardless of which one I view first, it will work, then the second will not work.

Is this a bug in Access 2003?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:01
Are you using the same DSN? You may need to use a separate DSN if you want to link to the same datasource with different credentials at the same time.

sharpnova

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry but what exactly is a DSN? I see many references to it on the web and an abstract definition, but I'm not sure what it is if it's not simply the account I'm using to link a table.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:01
Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Data Sources (ODBC). There you will see the DSN's defined on your system that are used to link to remote data sources.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you're doing what I think you're doing, I ran into the same problem and never found a solution. I have SQL Server (SS) databases for different things, for instance one for vehicle maintenance and another for driver activity. I created SS users for each and file DSN's for each, using the respective users. In Access, I linked the tables using the two different DSN's and users, selecting the box to save the passwords. As described by sharpnova, whichever table I opened first was fine, the second would throw a call failed error.

I can't say that I researched it that much. Being lazy, it was simpler to create a single SS user with permissions to both databases, and link using that (using 2 new file DSN's).

sharpnova

Registered User.
Local time
Yep. That's the solution I went for. It was just weird that this behavior occurred.

I guess we can just chalk it up to an Access bug. (could be a pain in some cases)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom