Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 04:29 AM   #1
moto485
Newly Registered User

moto485 is on a distinguished road
Access Runtime and ODBC connection can't get it to work..

Hey guys I have a Access front end connected to a MS SQL database using a ODBC connection which is working fine of course.

When I compile it as a runtime version and install it on the business computer I get an error with the ODBC connection (sorry I can't remember exactly what pops up). On the business computer I have installed SQL Native Client and in the ODBC added a System DSN (which works).

How do you guys go about this? any tips? is there something I should be doing when saving as runtime?

Thanks for any help

moto485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
GinaWhipp
AWF VIP

GinaWhipp will become famous soon enough GinaWhipp will become famous soon enough
Re: Access Runtime and ODBC connection can't get it to work..

Why are you using the Native Client? Just use the SQL Server... at the bottom of the list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GinaWhipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
boblarson
Smeghead

Thanked 1,806 Times in 1,573 Posts
boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaWhipp View Post
Why are you using the Native Client? Just use the SQL Server... at the bottom of the list.
Gina - depending on which version of SQL Server and which operating system the client is on, it can necessitate the use of the SQL Native Client or SQL Native Client 10.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
boblarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
boblarson
Smeghead

boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold boblarson is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto485 View Post
When I compile it as a runtime version and install it on the business computer I get an error with the ODBC connection (sorry I can't remember exactly what pops up).
Then go find out. The messages are important as we can't see what you see and without giving us the message it is like going to the doctor and saying, "Doc, I have an extreme pain, what's wrong?"

Old 08-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
GinaWhipp
AWF VIP

GinaWhipp will become famous soon enough GinaWhipp will become famous soon enough

@Bob,

Yes, I do know that but since no information was provided as to versions, I was hoping it would open a dialog. I guess it kinda did, with you!

GinaWhipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
moto485
Newly Registered User

moto485 is on a distinguished road

I will find out exactly what the message said but I'll have to get back to you on Monday when I'm there. Yea had to use native to connect to this database. I was hoping it was hoping someone would just go "hey you forgot to do this!" but that's okay I'll be back with some more info.
moto485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
vbaInet
AWF VIP

Thanked 2,420 Times in 2,386 Posts
vbaInet is a name known to all vbaInet is a name known to all vbaInet is a name known to all vbaInet is a name known to all vbaInet is a name known to all vbaInet is a name known to all

The chances are that you shouldn't be using the Client in your production environment. Client is mostly when you have a local SQL Server installation running it as localhost.

vbaInet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
boblarson
Smeghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbaInet View Post
The chances are that you shouldn't be using the Client in your production environment. Client is mostly when you have a local SQL Server installation running it as localhost.
No, sorry that is completely incorrect. Since it seems I'm going to have to type it out for everyone - here you go:

Old 09-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
boblarson
Smeghead

And this is information I had received from Mary Chipman, former MVP, who went to work for Microsoft on the SQL Server Team.

In a lot of instances you can still use the SQL Server generic driver. But if your database uses any new features of that version, then you need to follow the matrix.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
vbaInet
AWF VIP

vbaInet is a name known to all vbaInet is a name known to all vbaInet is a name known to all vbaInet is a name known to all vbaInet is a name known to all vbaInet is a name known to all

That's why I said mostly and italicised it too... well at least that's what I've seen it used for in some prod envs. I'm not a SQL Server person anyway, so you must be right.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
vbaInet
AWF VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblarson View Post
No, sorry that is completely incorrect. Since it seems I'm going to have to type it out for everyone - here you go:

And I've taken a copy of the table for reference. You didn't quite type it out though Bob
Old 09-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
boblarson
Smeghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbaInet View Post
And I've taken a copy of the table for reference. You didn't quite type it out though Bob
Actually I did. I typed the first part of my post and then went into Microsoft Excel and typed it out (it was going to be easier to use a matrix and it isn't all that easy just typing it here). So then I took a screen shot of it using SnagIt! and uploaded the pic to my website and then referred to it. (I did that so I hopefully can just reference it again, which I'm sure I'll have to do.)

Old 09-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
vbaInet
AWF VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblarson View Post
Actually I did. I typed the first part of my post and then went into Microsoft Excel and typed it out (it was going to be easier to use a matrix and it isn't all that easy just typing it here). So then I took a screen shot of it using SnagIt! and uploaded the pic to my website and then referred to it. (I did that so I hopefully can just reference it again, which I'm sure I'll have to do.)
And you made me type it all out again haha.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: