Trying to model this case study into an ERD (1 Viewer)

Bycrim

Local time
Today, 22:14
Dear All,

I am bit confused on how to structure this scenerio as some of the entities have same attributes and some having two unique attributes in a table. Please, how can this be sorted out? Below is the case study. Thank you.

A DVD Rental Company has several branches, one in Manchester, one in London and one in Birmingham . The data held on each branch is the branch address made up of street, city, county, postcode and the telephone number. Each branch is given a branch number, which is unique throughout the company .

Each branch is allocated staff, which includes a Manager. The manager is responsible for the day-to-day running of a given branch. The data held on a member of staff is his or her name, position and salary. Each member of staff is given a staff number, which is unique throughout the company.

Each branch has a stock of DVDs. The data held on a DVD is the catalogue number, DVD number, title, category, daily rental, cost, status and the names of the main actors and director. The catalogue number uniquely identifies the DVD. In some cases, however, there are several copies of each DVD at a branch, and the individual copies are identified using the DVD number. A DVD is given a category such as Action, Children, Drama, Sci-Fi or Horror. The status indicates whether a specific copy of a DVD is available for rent.

Before borrowing a DVD from the company, a customer must first register as a member of a local branch. Each member is given a member number, which is unique throughout all branches of the company. Once registered, a member is free to rent DVDs, up to a maximum of ten at any one time . The data held on each DVD rented is the rental number, the full name and number of the member, the DVD number, title and daily rental, and the dates the DVD is rented out and returned. The DVD number is unique throughout the company

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 17:14
We don't mind helping with homework, but we do mind doing homework. So, what do you have so far and where are you stuck?

Bycrim

Local time
Today, 22:14
Hi Plog,

I was actually given a ready-made database to improve by adding the database of the scenario provided.

Please, find attached a screen shot of what I've got so far.

Thanks.

Attachments

• screenshot.PNG
    screenshot.PNG
    94 KB · Views: 1,143

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 17:14
That's a huge mess with more tables than you initially described. Looks like you have some website specific tables in there as well, which is complicating things.

Can you ask a specific question? I don't know exactly how to help.

proview

Local time
Today, 15:14
Hi Plog, i'm refreshing my (basic) ERD skills and have given a stab at the entities, relations and constraints. Just want to get your take on if i'm in the right direction.

Attachments

• 2014_001.pdf
    18.4 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom