Trouble totaling currency fields in calculated field (1 Viewer)

lshiffri

Local time
Yesterday, 17:11
I'm trying to total currency fields (money donated each month in a year) into a single calculated field. The result would be a field showing total donations for each person for the year. The database has been converted to 2010. I've created an expression like "[field1]+[field2]", but no go. I must be missing something important here. I tried in a calculated field in the table and in a query. Help is welcome. Thanks.

Beetle

Duly Registered Boozer
Local time
Yesterday, 18:11
Welcome to the forum!

Normally you would perform this type of calculation using a calculated control (i.e. a text box) in the footer section of a form or report. If you want to post back with more details we can try to offer more help.

lshiffri

Local time
I'm not using a form or report, just managing data myself directly in the table & in queries. Wouldn't the same expression work? Right now I have a manually-entered total field, but I don't trust it. I wanted to use a calculated field to be sure the total was correct.

Beetle

Duly Registered Boozer
Local time
You won't be able to do this at the table level. You could create a Totals query that sums the Donation field and groups by person and/or year, but this query would only show the summary values, not the details of each record, and it would be read only (not update-able). If you want to display both the details of each record plus the sum of all donations in one "place", then you will need a form or report.

lshiffri

Local time
A Totals query would be OK. I actually tried it but it didn't work (probably got it wrong). Can you point me to something that describes the best way to set that up?

Beetle

Duly Registered Boozer
Local time
Well, given a table like this;

Then a query designed like this;

Will give you these results;

Attachments

• Table.jpg
    Table.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 345
  • query.jpg
    query.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 382
  • Results.jpg
    Results.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 295

lshiffri

Local time
I should have been more specific. Sorry. What I want to do is simpler. Just total values in 12 fields (months). In the screen shot you can see some people have donations in more than one month. I just want to total each row (record).

Darn, it won't let me post an image! OK - here is it typed out (stripping spaces! so used dots):

ID ...........Sept2012 ..Oct2012 ..Nov2012 .Dec2012
----------------------------------------------------------
66 ..............$20 ....... ................$50
345........................... $100
54 ..... ...... $30....................... ............ $25
298 ...........$15 .......... $20

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom