Paid Membership ideas (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:01
I am going to introduce an option for paid membership for these forums. I know for years people have said to have a donation button. Well, finally(!) I am going to make some movement on this.

My idea is to have 2 or 3 membership levels: Basic, Premium, Elite. That kind of thing. With these options, you get increasing benefits, such as no ads with Elite, reduced ads with the others, private discussion section for paid members and so on.

If you have any ideas on what might be good options, or any discussion around this area, then please add your comments to this thread.

Thank you.

pwbrown

Registered User.
Local time
Personally I think it's a bad idea and would rather see just one donation group instead.
I don't see any value in people buying membership. I don't care about ads and a private discussion section would be pointless.
Perhaps you could set up an option for people to join an access course or get access to tutorials or source code via a donating option.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
I am going to introduce an option for paid membership for these forums. I know for years people have said to have a donation button. Well, finally(!) I am going to make some movement on this.

My idea is to have 2 or 3 membership levels: Basic, Premium, Elite. That kind of thing. With these options, you get increasing benefits, such as no ads with Elite, reduced ads with the others, private discussion section for paid members and so on.

If you have any ideas on what might be good options, or any discussion around this area, then please add your comments to this thread.

Thank you.

I currently have an ad for here on here

"Completely FREE! Get help with Microsoft Access, learn how to create better databases and develop your skills. It is completely free to register and only takes a couple of minutes. Click here to Join."

That would disapear if I paid? And I could discuss that safe in the knowledge the others discussing it with me wouldnt have seen the ad either.

The only bit of value I see - is sectioning off those with more money than sense. But the value of that is in the free bit?

How much is it - and when do they sign up?

Have you considered comedy?

Last edited:

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 22:01
Jon

You are going to get asked this question sooner or later so it may as well be me who asks it.

Are the people who answer the posts going to get paid or do they also have to pay for the privilege.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Jon

You are going to get asked this question sooner or later so it may as well be me who asks it.

Are the people who answer the posts going to get paid or do they also have to pay for the privilege.

I doubt you'll get an answer.

The rumour is that someone who answers most of the access problems is already paid a retainer out of advertising revenue. It is / will be denied of course.

I wondered how long it would be that we are to pay to use this site, if it happens then it will be the end of it.

Col

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
As I have stated many times, the site will always be free. There will just be some additional options coming for those who want a paid subscription.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
It's been a few months now, how many people have paid membership apart from the obvious one.

I did ask this question in the 'cooler but somebody who shall be nameless deleted it.

I think it would be interesting for people to know.

Col

RainLover

Local time
Col

Other than Bob I have or should say I think I have only seen One.

Jon,

Do you think you could come up with a better Logo. Maybe there is a member out there who could design something for you. I would if I could but I can't so I won't. I don't have an artistic bone in my body.

No offence meant, just believe it could be better.

pwbrown

Registered User.
Local time
RainLover said:
Col

Other than Bob I have or should say I think I have only seen One
Same here

RainLover said:
Jon,

Do you think you could come up with a better Logo. Maybe there is a member out there who could design something for you. I would if I could but I can't so I won't. I don't have an artistic bone in my body.

No offence meant, just believe it could be better.

I really liked that sentence in bold! I didn't even know we had a logo! At least nothing with the website name in it, that I have seen.

RainLover

Local time
Same here
I really liked that sentence in bold! I didn't even know we had a logo! At least nothing with the website name in it, that I have seen.

The Logo I was talking about was the special one created for this type of membership.

It is just while on blue. It doesn't say "hey I would pay money for that."

Just look at Bob Larson's posts.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
The Logo I was talking about was the special one created for this type of membership.

It is just while on blue. It doesn't say "hey I would pay money for that."

Just look at Bob Larson's posts.

I dont mind the logo. Does the job to me. Should maybe be clickable so people know what it involves.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I'm thinking maybe I should create some training videos for paid members, something to add value to the membership options. From my research, we seem to get a lot of intermediate standard Access users on this site who seem to want to improve to expert level. Perhaps I could thrown in some videos for skill enhancement.

Your thoughts?

Surka

IT dude
Local time
Today, 09:01
Keep in mind that youtube offers a lot of videos about Access.

Tjabooo

Local time
Today, 14:01
The reason i send this reply is because i read some messages here. (sorry for my Swenglish)

If someone put a lot of effort to build a site like this, wich probably helped so many people.
How can it be wrong if that person want to have some payback.
I have some suggestions donw below. And I am aware that it is always easy to talk, but the hard work comes when you have to doo it. And if he likes the suggestions and put his work in it.
Can´t be wrong to get some payback.

Youtube has a lot of videos, BUT it is hard to find something beyond the basic levels.
Mostly it is a piece here and a piece there, but not much complete, and hard to find what you are looking for.

If you can offer extra value for paying members, like building a business database from the beginning up to the end including VBA. Not so much theory, just explain things while you go.

Phase 1: Show the complete database and what it can do.

Phase 2: Explain how to use access.
It took me quite long time before i got the essens on how to use it.
Meaning, that you build the tables and then use questions to retrieve information.
When i started i Focused so much on learning the tables and forms, I wanted to fill all information straight in to forms and forgot how important the queries are.

Phase 3: Start to build the tables, connect them, explain good naming conventions.
explain the logic behind, why you connect them this or that way, explain datatypes and when to use them, explain field size and do it while you are filming.
And if you repeat that explanation on every table you build, it will be good repetition, and also..
If you make chapters, any one can jump in to the chapter that suits his need and still get the point without having to look through all chapters to find that explanation.

Phase 3: Making forms, Forms in forms in forms parent/child/child/child in one form.
That will make people see how to format forms in forms to add buttons and se how you select the most inner form after clicking a bunch of times.
Making tabbed forms, with a top tab, select a field, then select another tab and se the related child records. And so on. many different examples on forms.
Queries, many examples with different approaches.

Next suggestion: I guess that many as I, when in trouble, want an ansver even before we got in trouble. So if you make a chat, maybe one main English chat, and then a chat for different countries. Then anyone can search for someone to help or to get help from.
of course, only for paying members.

//Reguards Dick

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom