Weigh Scale Serial to Access Form Text Box (1 Viewer)

roundup

Local time
Today, 11:47
Hello,

I want to get a weigh scale serial output into a constantly updating text box on my Microsoft Access 2007 Form. It is on Windows 7, with the serial cable connected through the a com port. Other things on the form will be calculated and instantly updated as this text box updates. Nothing has to be logging as the data comes in, just the text box has to be updating visually on the screen. I have built the database and have it all ready to go, except for my lack of knowledge to get this text box set up.

The scale serial sends out a constant stream of:
baud rate: 9600, Bits 8NONE, TERM character= <CR><LF>

<STX> <POL> <wwwwwww> <UNIT> <G/N> <S> <TERM>

I want to extract the weight, <POL><wwwwwww> and simply put it in the text box.

<TERM>= <CR><LF>

Where Weight data:
7 digits, right-justified, with decimal point, leading zero supression.
Overload = ^^^^^^^
Underrange = ] ] ] ] ] ] ]
Display overflow = OVERFL

Where POL is Polarity:
< space > = Positive
<–> = Negative
<^> = Overload
<]> = Underrange
where I would only want to program for negative and positive.

How can I code for this to get access to the COM port and then separate out the weight from the stream? I have looked all over the web for a solution but have found nothing in simple terms I can understand. Thank you in advance.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:47
@jmark@stayintouch.us - the last activity for user roundup was 2014. I suspect this user has long since abandoned the site. However, look in the "similar threads" list as a first place to research your problem. And you could surely search the forum for "serial input" as a topic. I have no personal experience with Access doing serial input so can't offer direct advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom