Table Relationships (1 Viewer)

alex44

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:49
I’m trying to define a relationship between tables. However, the unique nature of my data doesn’t seem to be allowing typical relationships. Because of my inexperience, I’m not sure if I need to somehow create a relationship (junction table?) or just keep things as they are. FYI, I’m only querying the data – no updates.

I have two tables that I’m able to join by using a field in Table1 tied to a portion of a field in Table2. No other columns in either table can reliably relate the two tables.
For example:

Table1.ColA has a 5 character string.
Table2.ColA has a 10 character string.
I need to match Table1.ColA to Table2.ColA where the first five characters in Table2.ColA match Table1.ColA.
This match, produces 1 to Many results (for every Table1.ColA string, there are 1 to many Table2.ColA records that match.

IMPORTANT FACTORS:
- Table1 contains data at a SYSTEM level.
- Table2 contains the parts that make up the ‘SYSTEM’ in Table1
- The PARTS in Table2 can be in 1 to many SYSTEMS from Table1
- Table1.ColA is not unique by itself (it’s part of a composite PK in Table1).
- Table2.ColA is not unique by itself (it’s part of a composite PK in Table2).

Because of the confidential nature of the database, I can’t provide samples. However, what I’m more interested in is the higher level design principles that I should or shouldn’t use.
As I said I’m new to this and want to make sure I build a solid foundation before the database begins to grow.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Alex

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
I need to match Table1.ColA to Table2.ColA where the first five characters in Table2.ColA match Table1.ColA.

Since you are asking how to design your database, the correct answer is this: make Table2.ColA into 2 fields. When designing tables you need to store every discrete piece of data seperately. If you have this code "BX-75Green" where 'BX', '75' and 'Green' all represent distinct pieces of information, then you don't store that code in 1 field, you store the data it contains in 3 fields.

alex44

Registered User.
Local time
Since you are asking how to design your database, the correct answer is this: make Table2.ColA into 2 fields. When designing tables you need to store every discrete piece of data seperately. If you have this code "BX-75Green" where 'BX', '75' and 'Green' all represent distinct pieces of information, then you don't store that code in 1 field, you store the data it contains in 3 fields.

Plog,

Thanks for the reply!
What about the relationships though? I stll have no FK's. Do I need them in a DB that I'm not updating, just querying?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
I don't really understand what you are getting at. Can you provide a specific set of data to illustrate your point?

Maybe this will help: My point was that in designing a database you store every discrete piece of data in its own field. If 2 tables that are now linked by 1 field with 4 parts of data in it, they would be linked by 4 fields once those tables are structured properly.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Let me try to say this another way. If you have a field that contains "BX-75-Green" and could have a field that says "BX-72-Green" and another that says "BY-75-Green" - and they all mean something distinct - then you have not reduced your information correctly, particularly if these participate in relationships.

If the BX, number, and color-name are independently variable, then they should be independent (separate) fields in your table. You can still declare a compound key of the letter code, number code, and color code - a three-field key - if needed. The more important point is that if you then needed to reference the letter and number (but could omit the color) for a relationship, you can have separate indexes, or a second compound key on only the parts you need.

Let's take a contrary case to finish the illustration. Let's say that you have a very long part number but it is purely a long numeric string and not possible to break up into a department code, type code, or whatever. There, a single field is the entire key and no subset of the field has distinct meaning. You would not have a case where you needed to relate something else to a subset of that part number (because by the definition I just gave, there IS no viable subset.)

The summary is that if the thing you are using as a key is divisible, then bite the bullet and divide it so that you can use the divisions separately where appropriate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom