Reducing vertical space in columnar reports (1 Viewer)

MostlyFrustrated

Local time
Today, 00:14
I'm designing an accdb in Access 2010 designed to show contact information for individuals within departments. Most fields are short, such as dept number, name, phone number, email address, etc., but the first record in the department may also have a "special notes" field populated that may be much longer, and is applicable to the entire department, not just that individual. I'd like the notes text box to be able to expand vertically (and have set Can Grow = Yes in properties), but to do it without also pushing the starting point of the next record further down the page. In other words, the text box in the Record 1 might need to vertically span multiple records, but not if the next record is in a new department number.

See the attached PDF for a visual representation that is probably easier to understand. My report doesn't actually have the colors you see, but each different color represents a different record.

I thought I could get there by defining two subreports--one for the contact info, one for the notes--and placing them side by side, but then the note associated itself with every record and all records showed it. Maybe I didn't have the subreports linked correctly somehow, but I don't know how to do that. I also thought I could get my intended result by making a multicolumn report, but Access only supports equal width columns, not one wide and one narrow.

Anyone have any experience with this? I would greatly appreciate your insight and technique.

Attachments

• Unbalanced columnar report.pdf
    77.6 KB · Views: 120

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 06:14
If the below satisfied you requirement, then you can do it with sub forms and grouping.

Attachments

• LongNote.jpg
    LongNote.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 188
  • Reports.jpg
    Reports.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 240

MostlyFrustrated

Local time
Today, 00:14
Many thanks, JHB. I did something similar but was putting the subreports in the detail section, not the department header section. I'll give this a try and post back if/when successful.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 06:14
Ok - I'll be away for some days.
The recordsource for the sub report with the note(s) is:
Code:
SELECT ANote, Department
FROM Table1
WHERE ANote Is Not Null;
Link the sub reports together with the "Link Master Fields" and "Link Child Fields" set to "Department"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom