Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Rebel against

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Greyowlsl

Mlak Mlak
Local time
Today, 18:20
Just getting some idea on how people feel towards their government, not specifically just the spokesperson (president, prime minister etc.)

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
am embarrassed by (Australia)

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 01:20
...do more then just whine on a forum threat about...

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Today, 09:20
Complacency is the biggest issue in Capitalist Democratic countries...

The Government in the UK is absolutely rubbish and out of touch, but whilst the majority of the UK Population, myself included, are more than happy to just whine and are too complacent to do anything about it things will never change...

The biggest tool the UK has to voice it's opinion is at the Ballot box, but when the major parties are all pretty much the same, it isnt even worth using your voice...

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 04:20

The Government in the UK is absolutely rubbish and out of touch, but whilst the majority of the UK Population, myself included, are more than happy to just whine and are too complacent to do anything about it things will never change...

The biggest tool the UK has to voice it's opinion is at the Ballot box, but when the major parties are all pretty much the same, it isnt even worth using your voice...

That's exactly how it is here. Blue or Red, Left or Right, it's all the same. They only argue about a few miniscule things to keep people divided and prevent a third party from having a say. The sheeple are too stupid or ignorant to get it.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time

The public actively voted overwhelmingly (the ones who could be arsed at all I suppose) to keep this stiched up political system just a couple of years ago. Then continue to moan about it.

Too depressing to think about and the complacency continues.

Last edited:

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I recently heard that the approval rating of our Congress is at a all time low (9%). The president's approval rating is also pretty low.

Vassago

Local time
I recently heard that the approval rating of our Congress is at a all time low (9%). The president's approval rating is also pretty low.

As long as people are dumb enough to only vote this two party system, they'll never get anything done. These are career politicians. We need real people to represent us, not politicians with law degrees.

Vassago

Local time
It was never meant to be a full time career, after you did you civic duty you went back to your real job...being a farmer or store clerk.

Exactly. Where are the scientists, farmers, inventors, teachers, etc... in Congress now? They used to be there. It's overrun with lawyers and investors now.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
I have a novel revolutionary idea. Instead of electing pushy people who are all show and no substance why don't we select people by a lottery draw to serve as representatives of their community in their legislature. Yes we will get some cranks/nutcases but we will also get some good people as well. It's not as if the present system always produces the best results

scott-atkinson

Local time
I have a novel revolutionary idea. Instead of electing pushy people who are all show and no substance why don't we select people by a lottery draw to serve as representatives of their community in their legislature. Yes we will get some cranks/nutcases but we will also get some good people as well. It's not as if the present system always produces the best results

Why don't we break people into communities, hold a lottery take a representative from each put them in a forest and let them try to kill each other, and the winner their community gets all the good stuff....

.... oh hang on...

I think Iv'e seen that somewhere before... :p ;) :D

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
What have they done that's embarrassing.

The current Australian government is regressive. Since they inherited government from a Labor party that has lost any idea of how to look like they were capable of governing they have started winding back.

We look like being the first country in the world to delist a World Heritage piece of nature so we can mine it.They have just removed what they call the "green tape" from development legislation.

Winding back the carbon reduction program, abandoning the clean energy fund. Australia is now looked upon as a pariah in the global effort to reduce carbon emissions. Third lowest in the world just in front of Kazakhstan.

And you would have to actually see enough of our Prime Minister to realise he is one of the most inept people to have ever held the office in Australia. Statesman he isn't.

He got to lead his party when he won by a single vote over a man that even Labor supporters admired. Sadly we ended up with the PM we deserve as a nation and that is truly embarrassing.

scott-atkinson

Local time
I do think that the Green Element of legislation is not for the welfare of the planet but as another form of stealthly taxing the populace.

There are lots of arguments for and against Global Warming, for instance this year was the lowest ever recorded temperature at the Pole, forgive me but isnt the clue in the title, Global Warming...

I believe that the earth is going through a cycle and would have done whether we pumped CO2 into the atmoshpere or not, now there is some evidence that we have speeded up the cycle, but we are certainly not the cause..

Taxing under the name of Green Issues is simply another way of legislating for us to pay more money into rich peoples already bulging pockets...

It is the same in the UK with Fracking, so many enviromentalists on the band wagon saying how bad it is yet ignoring the obvious that if we do not do something old people will die of the cold and the lights will go out... to all those opposed I simply say Frack Off!!!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I used to be encouraged by what appear to be increasing numbers of people, especially young people, who seem to be realizing how rigged the system is, and how unsustainable it is. I thought there might be hope that we could begin turning things around.

That positive was offset by the realization that we have probably passed the tipping point of people who benefit from big government. When 50% of the population pays no income tax and/or get benefits from the government, what is the likelihood they will vote for the person who says we need to cut spending rather than the one who will increase spending and “tax the rich” to pay for it?

Once past the tipping point, what stops the progression before it all collapses? I’ve done the math; you can’t tax the rich enough to balance the budget. The politicians don’t care about fixing the problems, just about getting re-elected. They kick the can down the road, and every time they do they make the inevitable fall at the end greater and more painful.

Rabbie's idea has merit, but it would probably end up like jury duty. Practically the only ones who serve are the ones not smart enough to get out of it. :p

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I do think that the Green Element of legislation is not for the welfare of the planet but as another form of stealthly taxing the populace.

Was a ridiculous cynical attitude.

There are lots of arguments for and against Global Warming, for instance this year was the lowest ever recorded temperature at the Pole, forgive me but isnt the clue in the title, Global Warming...

There are many arguments both ways. However those against, such as claiming that the record low (half a degree lower at minus 100) are facile. You simply ignore the vast body of evidence and cling to whatever suits your prejudice.

I believe that the earth is going through a cycle and would have done whether we pumped CO2 into the atmoshpere or not, now there is some evidence that we have speeded up the cycle, but we are certainly not the cause..

On what evidence do you bast this "certain" claim?

The planet doesn't just go through cycles without causes. In fact all the known regular cycles should have us heading into an ice age which is what scientists had previously expected. Temperatures were falling and suddenly turned around in the mid twentieth century.

It is known that atmospheric CO2 is fundamental in the climate cycles. We have raised them over fifty percent to levels that have not occurred on the planet for millions of years.

Having read much by climate change deniers I have concluded that by and large they are greedy people who are unwilling to invest even small amounts in change even though failure to do so will place an enormous cost on future generations.

It is the same in the UK with Fracking, so many enviromentalists on the band wagon saying how bad it is yet ignoring the obvious that if we do not do something old people will die of the cold and the lights will go out... to all those opposed I simply say Frack Off!!!

Have you investigated anything about fracking? Have you seen what it does to the landscape? Are you aware that these well pass through our water table? Are you aware of the hundreds of toxic chemicals in fracking fluid? Have you seen the methane bubbling up in streams after wells are drilled nearby? Do you realise that many fracking sites extract vast amounst of often salty water from deep underground and leave it sitting in holding dams for decades?

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
I'm pretty ambivalent towards our government - however when I compare it to many others I think the uk have little to complain about.

I think the best I can say that being in a democracy they are really not fraudulent more generally feckless with the occasional good idea.

and yes I should take more responsibility for making decisions in my community.

scott-atkinson

Local time
Was a ridiculous cynical attitude.

There are many arguments both ways. However those against, such as claiming that the record low (half a degree lower at minus 100) are facile. You simply ignore the vast body of evidence and cling to whatever suits your prejudice.

On what evidence do you bast this "certain" claim?

The planet doesn't just go through cycles without causes. In fact all the known regular cycles should have us heading into an ice age which is what scientists had previously expected. Temperatures were falling and suddenly turned around in the mid twentieth century.

It is known that atmospheric CO2 is fundamental in the climate cycles. We have raised them over fifty percent to levels that have not occurred on the planet for millions of years.

Having read much by climate change deniers I have concluded that by and large they are greedy people who are unwilling to invest even small amounts in change even though failure to do so will place an enormous cost on future generations.

Have you investigated anything about fracking? Have you seen what it does to the landscape? Are you aware that these well pass through our water table? Are you aware of the hundreds of toxic chemicals in fracking fluid? Have you seen the methane bubbling up in streams after wells are drilled nearby? Do you realise that many fracking sites extract vast amounst of often salty water from deep underground and leave it sitting in holding dams for decades?

I would rather have bubbling streams of Methane than let my dear old Mum die of the Cold becuse she cannot aford to switch on her heating...but clearly where you are from you do not have an energy problem...

As for facts, I think you are just as devoid of them as I am...

The Ice Ages through history pin point that the earth goes through cycles, and each one of those was bought on by an increase in temperature and CO2 in the atmosphere which changed Sea Currents and Warm Air currents resulting in the shift of temperature from Warm to Cold... I suggest you read some books on the Cyclic change of the Earth as they are clearly documented...

Vassago

Local time
Decreased levels of CO2 have actually been blamed for causing ice ages. Plant evolution has even been blamed for one of our last "ice age periods."

Also, we are technically STILL in an ice age.

scott-atkinson

Local time
Increased levels of CO2 in the atmosphere have warmed the planet up resulting in Ice Caps melting and depositing Fresh Water into the salty oceans diluting the Salt content, which in turn cuts the Warm air Conveyers off, and thus the change in temperature from warm to cold...

As it gets Colder, fresh water freezes, thus the salty oceans regain their currents, and the converyers begin again... cold to warm...

It has been documented many times for causes of cyclic change in the planet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom